Doodle Bug larger rear sprocket help!

Hello all
I just scored a nice older DB the kind with the flat seat. I need more torque, it won't climb even slight hills. I don't want to spend a lot of money for an adapter plate or jack shaft. I'm looking for a larger rear sprocket. I'm willing to re drill the mounting holes etc. Does anyone know what tooth number is on the bike, what tooth number I need to go up to and where I can buy one.

It's easy to count the number of teeth on your rear sprocket, but you probably have 70 teeth. I wouldn't go over 80 teeth, I like 76 to 78 best. You will bottom out the sprocket from time to time, with 76 teeth less, with 80 more.

I don't have any answers for what you want to do. Good luck on your project.

Spend a little more and get a whole new Predator engine , not much more than a sprocket ! Doing almost anything to improve performance of those boat anchors just isn't worth it as you'll end getting a Predator anyways :thumbsup:

I priced a 75 tooth Motovox sprocket today, was $42 shipped to your door. I suspect not the bargain you were looking for.

As creia says, 75 or even 80 tooth won't make much difference with stock 97cc engine/ clutch. You can improve the 97cc, but a fair amount of work, not many willing to do it. Consensus is to get 6.5hp engine, plus they do run great, lots of fun.

Look around, might be able to get DB30 with 6.5hp engine already installed. I see a fair number of those on craigslist. Let someone else pay retail for the goodies, then maybe buy at discount. :shrug:

Thousandstar , adapter plate is not needed at all if you have a drill and a little mechanical ability , We just did another last night for new member Tubb1287 and OND (Eric ) just did one and posted some very nice tutorial pics , it really is easy , save the $50 for header and air-filter and jets !

I priced a 75 tooth Motovox sprocket today, was $42 shipped to your door. I suspect not the bargain you were looking for.

As creia says, 75 or even 80 tooth won't make much difference with stock 97cc engine/ clutch. You can improve the 97cc, but a fair amount of work, not many willing to do it. Consensus is to get 6.5hp engine, plus they do run great, lots of fun.

Look around, might be able to get DB30 with 6.5hp engine already installed. I see a fair number of those on craigslist. Let someone else pay retail for the goodies, then maybe buy at discount. :shrug:
I sure didn't check price or availability. My train of thought was the poster asked for bigger sprocket. Advised 76 to 80. No difference in 75 to 76. And I have one laying here doing nothing since my mbx11 has a doodle adapter and 62t split sprocket.

However if the 97cc runs good, but just can't pull, the best solution is the jackshaft which the poster stated he didn't wish to invest in. I'm well versed in the debate on the "boat anchor' motor vs. the 212. I own a new style doodle that was bought off the sears salesfloor on clearance that still has the stock 97cc. I installed the pmr jackshaft after one demo before ride so i could compare performance. The bike has run 3 years, it's on its 4th rear tire, starts first pull after a one pull choke pull, 2nd clutch, 3 sets of rear wheel bearings, and runs a top gps speed of 32 with my 210lb ass on it. I have nothing bad to say about it.

Sorry if I'm high jacking the thread, but what if I were to go jackshaft AND 75t sprocket? I already do have the predator and will be picking up a jackshaft kit next week, would it be remotely beneficial to do both? Or is the 75t sprocket just not worth it at all?

Edit: never mind, some searching answered my questions. I'm going to get a split sprocket adapter and I want to play around with some different tooth sizes, after I get the adapter the split sprocket sets are only 10.50 from OldMiniBikes anyways. I'll play around and see what I like best.

Last edited: