Doodlebug lives to ride another day

Well, I completed the 6.5 horse upgrade last night. Put gas in it today and took her for a few blasts up and down my street.
Im very pleased with the perfromance. I am 6'5" and 315 pounds and even though I look ridiculous riding it, all the neighbors got a good laugh.
The 6.5 horse I picked up at Harbor Freight ran great. It was a little slow accelerating from a dead stop (probably due to my weight) but around 15 miles an hour it really took off and seemed scary fast.
I used a 13 tooth Max torque clutch.
I oiled the clutch. Im wondering if anyone can tell me if that was wrong or right? It was sure smoking for a while. Then it was shooting sparks out at idle. IS this normal?

den35

Shooting sparks from the clutch!?That don't sound right to me.:confused:

What part of the clutch did you oil?Only the shaft bushing needs oiling,and that's done by putting a few drops of oil in the gap between the sprocket and the snap ring on the end of the clutch every 2hrs of use.

Last edited:
My new clutch smoked at first too. So did my brakes. I figured it was residual oil burning off. But the sparks??? I don't know about that one. But the smoke did stop after a little riding.

Keep oil out of the internal workings of the clutch! You cant over-oil the bushing but you can ruin a clutch quickly by introducing oil where it should'nt be. If I were you, I would now disassemble it and give it a good cleaning to remove all traces of oil. The oil is now most likely going to attract dirt and gunk up the clutch in no time. Normally it can be blown out with compressed air but in your case that may not work until you degrease it.:doah:

Bass, the slow take off it probably a "wet" clutch and the smallish rear sprocket.

You only oil the clutch where the the lip is on the clutch shaft, theres a bronze bushing in there. The brake shoes expand at RPM and grab the inside of the clutch housing kinda like a drum brake on your car does.

What you did was like oiling the brake pads on your car . :doah:

Heres what they look like inside.

Last edited:
Oiling your clutch shoes would be the same as putting oil on the brake shoes of your car. Sparks usually indicate metal to metal contact. Get a new clutch. Preferably one with needle bearings. Oil the bearings sparingly and keep the shoes clean, dry, and oil free...Ogy