Doodlebug Punisher build

I picked up a doodlebug last week. The guy I bought it from had put a predator 212 on it but I don't think he ever got it running. It looked like he started to work on it then gave up. When I got it it had been sitting for quite a while. The tires where flat, the gas had gone bad, and the carb was pretty shot. I took the bike completely apart and slapped some new paint on it. I'm not to thrilled with this shade of yellow, It is quite a bit lighter than I wanted but I can live with it. I made my own stencil and painted the red punisher skull on the fender and I'm gonna paint the engine cover and tank red with yellow accents.
I'll post more pics as the build progresses.
Cheers

Just finished painting the Predator sheet metal. I think it'll look awesome when I get it all put together. When I painted the Punisher shull on the fender I painted it over the yellow and it really made the red pop, so I decided that if I wanted the engine to match the trim I had better paint the tank yellow before laying on the red. I think it turned out awesome. It's almost got a candy apple look to it. I'm working on some more stencil's now. I plan on doing some tribal flames on the rear fender and a smaller yellow Punisher skull in the center of the pull start housing.
I'll post some more pics as it progresses.
Cheers

so I decided that if I wanted the engine to match the trim I had better paint the tank yellow before laying on the red.
the yellow does have great contrast with the red... looks nice...

just for info, unless the red you used is a transparent paint, painting the tank yellow first would have no effect (especially if you painted the red on evenly)... if it were transparent, the final color would look more orange... its why you have to be careful when spraying kandy colors... however, the primer or color underneath can effect how many coats it takes to cover.. opaque red covers pretty well over yellow...

its looking great :thumbsup:

Finished with the engine. The skull didn't turn out as good as I would have liked but it still looks pretty cool. I'll probably start putting the bike together tomorrow. With any luck we'll be riding it by next weekend.

Got a little more work done on the DB today. I put a new tire on the back, cleaned up the wheels, and put it the sprocket and brake disk back together with new hex bolts. I got a new adapter plate for the predator 6.5 from OldMiniBikes in the mail this morning so I was able to get the engine installed as well. I wish that OldMiniBikes Warehouse would have included some more in depth instructions or maybe a picture or 2 for the mounting of the adapter. I ended up having to drill 2 sets of holes because the sprockets wouldn't line up on the first try. No big deal but still a pain in the @$$. :hammer:

Darn near done with the Doodle. We got the new air filter and brake assembly installed tonight. We also connected the throttle and installed the clutch and guard. The only things left to do are install the chain and get everything lined up. The bike is looking so good I hate to put this ugly old seat on it but so far I can't find a better one, and the upholsterer I talked to wants like a $100 to recover it. I've been thinking about putting a bobber seat with springs on it but for now we're gonna just ride it like it is.
Cheers

We got the DB running this weekend and took her out for a good long test drive. I was really impressed with the way it ran and handled. It rides 10 times better than the little Azusa that was our first project mini. The Azusa with it's 5 inch wheels and hard tires is only good for riding on pavement but the DB with its bigger softer tires seemed to soak up the offroad bumps pretty well. The nearly stock predator 212 gives it plenty of power without being totally scary like the Azusa is with the same engine. The only thing that I don't like about it are the brakes. even with a new caliper its stopping power is pretty week. I just ordered a new hydraulic system that I hope will take care of the problem. I've also got a new seat cover coming. I'll post more pics when I've got the new stuff installed.
Cheers

Finished! I got the new seat cover and the hydraulic brakes installed so I guess this one is complete. It's gonna be a little chilly here in sunny Florida today but we are going to ride the wheels off this thing anyway.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.