Drum brake only grips backwards

I have a sprocket drum brake on this tote goat i got recently. It barely stops the bike even after tightening it. I noticed that if i wheel the bike backwards it grips really hard but spinning forwards & it doesnt grip nearly as hard. i took apart the wheel to see if maybe there was a way to flip it over, but theres only one way to mount it, it seems. I really need help, I dont want to have to buy or install a new brake system. if anyone has had this problem or know what causes it, lmk.

drum1.jpg drum2.jpg
just uploaded these pics, hopefully they help.

Last edited:

gbabins1

I would post a few pictures maybe that'll give us a better idea of what's going on with it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

scootercat

Unbolt the brake arm and reinstall with it pointing down,it can be done because of the two places the cable housing can be connected then try...If that won't help,it can be put back no problem

Are the shoes different lengths? Could they be backward?

Are they new? they may need to break in (Had this on a band brake recently)

Is the drum surface glazed?

Do the shoes fit the drum when expanded? (Contact the length of the shoe)

Do you come from a land down under where water spins down the drain backward?

What do you mean by glazed? The drum is really smooth and shiny is that what you mean by chance?

The leading (front shoe) does most of the braking and the trailing shoe does much less. Switch the shoes to reverse the gripping force (temporary fix) or use a hacksaw to cut grooves in the trailing shoe every 1/2" across the brake material so the trailing shoe will wear down faster and match the leading shoe. The only way I know of getting around this problem would be to find a way to make the shoes float together as they do inside automotive drum brakes.

I was thinking about the primary and secondary shoes as well. L
ong shoe in the back if I recall.