El lobo

Davis

No their 6 inch he said they were 8 on the phone and ya the seats going forward a few inches and the tires are kenda.

No their 6 inch he said they were 8 on the phone and ya the seats going forward a few inches and the tires are kenda.
Looks really good. I like the larger frame and the nice long seat. However the positioning of the seat and how it hangs off the backbone of the frame is the only odd thing about it. I agree with your plan to move it forward. Seems like a wise move. Are there tabs already welded on the frame to move the seat forward or will you have to add them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is awfully convenient. Nice that they planned ahead and thought to allow for some adjustment for different riders.

Davis

So I had the motor in and was waiting on the tav from OldMiniBikes and just got it and I'm thinking I've gotta lift my motor up at least 1 1/2-1 3/4 to clear the frame rail as it's not even close is this normal?

If tc driven is hitting bottom tube people use 1 1/2" square aluminum tube to raise....show some pics holding tc up to mock up mounted engine..other peeps input also

Davis

Ya the guy that makes the bike says I gotta go up 1 1/2- 1 3/4 I think I'll just set it up with wood and see how high I really gotta go for clearance.

I am looking forward to your solution here, as I will most likely run into this clearance issue if I decide in the future to go the TAV route, too. I do wonder the height on that PMR motor mount. Could be a bolt on fix if it meets your requirements, but it looks to be closer to 1 inch in thickness.

I am looking forward to your solution here, as I will most likely run into this clearance issue if I decide in the future to go the TAV route, too. I do wonder the height on that PMR motor mount. Could be a bolt on fix if it meets your requirements, but it looks to be closer to 1 inch in thickness.
I was looking for specs on the PMR but couldn't find any listed on the website. However I was looking it up on my phone and with my imperfect vision, I may have missed it. Hopefully somebody who's used one before for this application will chime in soon.

Give them a call. I spoke with someone there about this part, specifically, only to find out that it does not work with the 79 cc engine (different project), but found the person on the phone to be very knowledgeable and helpful.

Davis

So its mocked up now and that was it 1 1/2 exactly is what it took I had to play a little with shims on the tav to get the belt and chain straight but I got it now and I changed the gas cap to a lower profile Honda cap and have one inch of clearance to the frame so no tank change thank god. I may just bolt it down through the wood I hear its good up to 26hp LOL. but no really I may just build a new motor plate that's 1 1/2 taller than stock.

So its mocked up now and that was it 1 1/2 exactly is what it took I had to play a little with shims on the tav to get the belt and chain straight but I got it now and I changed the gas cap to a lower profile Honda cap and have one inch of clearance to the frame so no tank change thank god. I may just bolt it down through the wood I hear its good up to 26hp LOL. but no really I may just build a new motor plate that's 1 1/2 taller than stock.
Good job on the mock up. Looks great and it's so nice that you didn't have to mess with relocating the gas tank. So are you going to fab up your spacer own plate out of aluminum?

Davis

I haven't decided yet I may just cut the original plate off and make a new one as this isn't a vintage bike I don't mind hacking on it a bit but I do have access to a plasma table so I may go that route.

I haven't decided yet I may just cut the original plate off and make a new one as this isn't a vintage bike I don't mind hacking on it a bit but I do have access to a plasma table so I may go that route.
A plasma table...well, I must say that sure makes things a whole lot easier. I'm jealous. [emoji16] Your bike is gonna turn out great. Can hardly wait to see the finished product.

Haven't done a TAV install yet, myself, but have read several threads on the subject. Some people drill or slot the plate to rotate it and raise the driven as much as possible.

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=66567&d=1417836300

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/data/500/IMG_20170404_202631063.jpg

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/data/500/IMG_20170405_133542213.jpg

Raising the rear (only) of the engine will raise the driven more than raising the engine straight up an equal amount. Simple geometry; because the driven is rearward of the engine mounts, canting the engine forward will raise the driven.

The left rear of the engine plate can be notched for clearance; a flange around the notch could be added to maintain strength/rigidity, if needed (I would just use a thick engine plate).

Check out this frame which is made for the Honda/clone TAV combo; it may be helpful.

American Flyer 215 Minibike Frame

American Flyer 215 Minibike

Davis

The frame is what's in the way not just the motor plate and in trying to keep the motor level and have clearance the engine has to go straight up 1 1/2 inches as I see no other way other than cutting the frame and motor plate to clear it and that's not an option and yes if this were a flathead it would move up but with a ohv motor that's as high as it goes it's super close to the head now on the backside support there is just no other way to do this one as the rear wheel is fixed and the secondary isn't adjustable.

The frame is what's in the way not just the motor plate and in trying to keep the motor level and have clearance the engine has to go straight up 1 1/2 inches as I see no other way other than cutting the frame and motor plate to clear it and that's not an option and yes if this were a flathead it would move up but with a ohv motor that's as high as it goes it's super close to the head now on the backside support there is just no other way to do this one as the rear wheel is fixed and the secondary isn't adjustable.
I seem to remember reading that you can rotate the plate (raise driven) quite a bit more if you cut off one gusset on the backside of the plate. I've seen pictures of TAVs on clones with the driven much higher than yours, with the top of the TAV plate as high as the exhaust port (yours is well below it). The first picture I linked is a 212 Predator (non-hemi); the point of view is slightly downward, so the driven would be slightly higher than it appears, putting it close to level with the bottom of the exhaust port. The linked Coleman has a 98cc clone.

Davis

Yes u saw that pic but the motor is angled to the rear so the actual angle is the same as mine as it's all the way up now anymore I'd have to take the head off.

Davis

So as I wait for metal to raise the motor I've got gearing questions I've got a 10t in front and a 54t rear with 41 chain 13 inch tires target rpm is around 5000 does anyone have any experience on tav gearing to tell me if I'm in the ballpark? Or should I try different gearing?