Electric Mini bikes?

Hello- new here and new to the world of mini bikes (aside from drooling on my buddies when I was a kid) but thinking of building one for my kids and I to use. Mostly interested in a fat tire look like an el burro sandnsnow but I would like to make it electric since it will just be used around the neighborhood and my ears already ring enough :)

I have seen the atomic zombie bike (sparky bike plans) but thought I would ask if anyone here had made a more traditional looking mini with an electric motor?

If not, is it just the complexity of the wiring that turns people off to the idea or what? I searched and didnt find much but I am sure this has been discussed here.

Side question- does anyone sell a knock down frame/fork kit that NEEDS welding?

Lil help?

Ben

Last edited:

Biffmini

Welcome to OldMiniBikes, I don't know anything about elc. minis but it sounds like cool idea! Please start a project log when you get going on that.
Just me but I'd search a good deal on a frame & forks & mod. as needed. Maybe someone will chime in with more help. Good luck!

Last edited:
Gumpit- Good read but I think that bike is more of a moped look than I want.

Here is a newbie question. The standard tire is about 5" wide or so. What is the width between forks/rear frame members on most frames today? Trying to work backwards towards the widest tire that would fit on say an azusa frame or taco.

And another- how about registering these things? Would I be required to in CT?

toomanytoys

Keep in mind when it comes to electric power anything.

The more weight you are pulling the less battery life....Big fat wide heavy tires are going to kill your run time.

Also, the available space for batteries on a minibike is really limited. Yeah you could go with some super expensive compact batteries, but I wouldn't spend the money on that.

You can buy those razor electric dirt bikes for under 400 bucks. I thought they were a joke till my friend bought one for his son. That thing runs about 15mph, climbs hills, and depending on what he is doing runs around an hour on a charge. 400 dollars wouldn't get you a motor, batteries, frame, tires, controller, ect ect...

If you are dead set on building something post a project log.

The Aurenthetic was made by converting a Gemini frame. Which had a pull start engine originally. If you want it to look like a minibike with smaller tires and be electric you will have to check with your DMV. You might need lights,horn, DOT tires... Or maybe not... In Mass in the case of the Aurenthetic you didn't have to register it as a moped. But if you did you could ride it on streets that electric vehicles were excluded from.

joshua. c.

both monster moto and motovox make child size electric mini bikes but they would be a bit small for an adult. and the Serengeti company used to make one that looked like an electric doodlebug, its probably better for an adult but I think that company went under.

both monster moto and motovox make child size electric mini bikes but they would be a bit small for an adult. and the Serengeti company used to make one that looked like an electric doodlebug, its probably better for an adult but I think that company went under.
Its only a matter of time before a someone realizes the market has a space in it for a good electric bike.
Its clean, quiet and thanks to Lithium batteries will perform like a gas bike ( questionable how far it will go on a charge ).

I for one would like a 2 wheel drive one please, with snow tyres lol.

Whoa love a forum where people actually want to talk about stuff. Great info here.

I get the limitations/costs differences between batteries but this thing will likely just go around the 'hood for an hour then get put away at night for trickle charge so would probably start with a less expensive batt. I think most of these use 12v for low speed then put a pair of batteries in series for 24v and more speed.

Honestly I am amazed that there isn't a commercially made mini but I guess the razor types are cheaper so there goes that market.

Help me find a fat tire frame and I will do it.

I need to do more homework on the wiring/controller I might need. Was thinking a couple 12v batteries and a controller would do. Then have to compare amperage use to available battery size/output and see where I end up.

Thing is, razor scooters are electric and my kids will carry me for about 1/2 hr at around 15mph so I feel like this could be done given the space for a couple large batteries and one small motor (like a coffee can size). Lots of this going on with electric bikes so just need to find a way to combine the 2.

Does anyone make a knock down frame that actually needs welding?

I have the original Electric Flea mini bike. The motor is a brushless and I went to an electric bicycle dealer and between him and a battery guy we modified the bike controller to work on the bike.I have run the motor with it but not got around to installing it all back in the bike.The controller is smaller than the original circuit board and runs with a thumb throtle. If I run lipos I will use 3 but they aren't cheap--if I go gel cells I can only get 2 in the original container and don't want to modify it as I want the bike 100% original(the controller you can't see). the bike is 36 inches long and 26 inches tall to the top of the handle bars.

And another- how about registering these things? Would I be required to in CT?
Toolate, welcome to the forum it nice to see another Ct guy here :thumbsup: No reg needed in Ct they consider them scooters, but they need to be 5 horse or under with a seat height of 26 inch or taller and the rider must hold a valid drivers license :thumbsup: I don't know if an electric motor would make a difference :shrug:
I had a link or a PDF with it all spelled out saved somewhere let me see if I can find it :thumbsup:

There are quite a few controllers and batteries for sale out there. Costs are surprisingly low considering its all new stuff. Think I can do a motor for <$400, controller for about $50 and batteries- the sky is the limit... but not too too bad.

Just need to get into the nuts and bolts of it. I bought a frame from the classifieds here. Capnknuckles I believe is his handle. He is mailing it to me soon (I hope :). I am definitely looking for a fat set of tires for it though if anyone has a pair. I need to see the frame and how I will modify it to fit the tires I want so I am a little premature in my tire shopping but I have to dream.

Thanks Harley! I am down by Stamford. I have seen the CT regs and its odd that they read "seat height over 26" not under. Whatever this will be unregistered and ridden in my little neighborhood I think.