Electric scooter gone gas

Shorty

I sold my Doodlebug Sunday and needed a new project. So, a friend gave me an electric scooter 2 or 3 weeks ago. The brain box had water in it, so it was only push powered. I stopped by HF and got a 2.5hp clone Sunday, and this is what I came up with in the last couple of days.
Wanted to ride it today, but it's raining.

That's one slick little scooter!:thumbsup:
How much fab work and reinforcing did you do to the frame?
What chain and how did you get the rear sprocket to fit?
Brakes, how they working?
Let us know how it performs.
Thanks

Shorty

Well, I took the scooter out for a run today, twice. The first time, I started the motor and ran it for a little while. Adjusted the carb a little. Sounds good now. So I sat on it and gave it some gas. It moved about 12" before spinning the rear gear off the hub. I didn't know that the gear was threaded on the hub.
So I went out and got a jackshaft. Took me a couple of hours to put it on the scooter. But when I was finished, I took it for a ride. It's not fast on the take off because of the clutch having allot of bite. But after it starts moving and gets to about 5 to 10 mph. It will go pretty good for a 2.5 clone with a 235lb. rider. It still had more power when I let off the throttle around 20 to 25 mph. I just don't have a lot of trust in those little tires on it. It will be great for just cruising in a campground, or around the pits at VMP this weekend.

That's one slick little scooter!:thumbsup:
How much fab work and reinforcing did you do to the frame?
What chain and how did you get the rear sprocket to fit?
Brakes, how they working?
Let us know how it performs.
Thanks
I had to remove the electric motor and all the other stuff that was with it. Then remove the battery box from the bottom and add a sloted plate to the top to mount the motor.
I put a 1" x 1" square tube in the middle on the bottom, with two 1" x 1/8" straps welded on each end and to the tube like a truss (you can see it in the pic above).
It has #35 chain to everything. The rear gear, I got a 60T sprocket and laid it on top of the original sprocket that was the same size while it was laying on the bench and spun it slowly to get it centered. When it was centered, I used two vice grips to hold it in place. Then used the holes in the new sprocket as pilot holes for the drill. Removed the new sprocket and cut the spokes of the old sprocket to remove the gear. Then bolted the new sprocket back on in the new holes.
The brakes are the original brakes that were on it. They work very well.

My little swap meet/tailgating trike was once a scooter of some kind it had a 2stroke weedeater engine when I bought it for $25 it ran but not well! It
now has a vintage 2hp B&S powering it, it has a max torque clutch and only drives one wheel but is a blast to ride and is surprisingly fast 20-25mph and takes off with my 225# ass on the seat pretty decent!

Shorty

It's finished. I just couldn't take the look of the pipe for foot peg's in the first pic's.
So I made some fold up peg's last night. Now it folds up nice and small to transport.

Cool idea. What is the wheel base on those. I have seen a few of them at garage sales and did not think anything of them. I guess if I find one really cheap or thrown out it would be a neat project. They would fit into the truck of a small car easily.

The wheel base is 36". I carry it in my 92' Explorer all of the time.
I was at a friend's house this weekend and we put it in the trunk of his Toyota Corolla. The only thing that we had to do, is bungee cord the lid down. It missed closing by about 8".
I had it at Virginia Motorsports Park this weekend for the minibike show, and rode it allot. It's fun slow. But when I started going faster it was kind of shaky due to the width of the handle bars.
I put it on Craigslist yesterday to see if there was any interest in it. And a guy is coming by in the morning to look at it.

Nice conversion. Those electric wheels are kind of a pain - the hub is threaded onto the rim, and usually on a freewheel setup. If you don't have the wheel facing the right way, the freewheel just spins, and spins, and spins .... or in your case, the torque from the motor just unscrews it. (Been there, done that, too!) From past experience with several electric scooter/goped wheels, the sprocket has to be on the right, usually requiring a jackshaft to transfer the power over.