electric vs. battery drills

I cant stand those cheap battery powdered drills with the cheap chucks that get hung up when your drilling.
Now the electric one dont play or hesitate one bit when going through metal.
I had to recharge my battery powered drill 3 times and it still went dead while trying to drill through the brackets i made to hold my gas tank on. I borrowed my cousins electric one and it went right through the 14 gauge metal like it wasnt nothing.
Any favorite brands????

Any of the high end drills work well..good power and good chucks and good battery life......Makita, Dewalt etc...stay away from Black and Decker, Ryobi and many Sears etc. Rechargable tools are definitely an item that fits.....You get what you paid for senarios...also...14volts and above...the higher the battery pack voltages the longer the battery life and more power the drill has

Amen, brother...

I have a $175 Makita and three $259 DeWalts that I use daily...I wasted $39 on a Black & Decker, and the same amount on a Ryobi that I never use because I can't find them...tools that don't work get thrown as far from the shop as the anger fueling the throw will carry them...these two went pretty far...

Hey Jeremy

I have a Ridged 18 volt and it rocks! It came with 2 batteries and a dual charger.I have had it for 2 years with no problems. But i also use a pneumatic drill. It works great when i have to do a bunch of holes, or real thick metal.

Josh

The chuck on the Ryobi wouldn't hold the bit tightly enough...no matter how hard I cranked it down...the bit would spin in the chuck and raise a burr on the shank, so it not only didn't work well, it destroyed bits, because they won't center in the chuck properly if they have a burr on the shank...they'll run slightly concentric, making a larger hole than wanted.

The Black&Decker wouldn't hold a charge...really cheap batteries, but they were $35 each to replace.

The Makita charger has a battery reconditioner mode...the batteries last me about 5 years each...unbelievable quality.

And the Dewalts will break my wrist if I'm not careful...incredible torque.

Hey Yellowhand

You didnt put Ridged on the list. Have you had the chance to try the Ridged drills? Im verry impressed! I do A/V work and use my drill every day. I would be a good spokesman for Ridged, i love my drill! Ive droped it, kicked it, smoked it, and tossed it. Ive never stalled it, or broke it. And ill never sell it! Its one tuff drill. Its just as good as a Makita, or Dewalt. When my last dewalt broke i wanted to try something new. I figured i would try the Ridged and if i didnt like it i would just take it back. But it worked great, so i kept it. It also has a dual rapid charger. Its great when you forget to charge one battery and the other dies. It will charge one in 20 min, and 2 in 30 min.

Josh

Ridgid

I just bought a factory reconditioned 24 volt ridgid hammer drill. I got it from the cummins traveling tool sale. It has a 1 year factory warranty. Best of all It was olny $149. It came with a soft side tool bag,smart charger,and the batts are lithium ion. massive torque. I also got a 14.4 volt ridgid to keep in the house, also factory reconditioned with 1 year warranty. it was $69. It came with a hard case,smart charger (full charge in 20 min) and the batts are lithium ion. If you dont mind minor wear and scratches you can save alot of money. I think they sell on line. cummins.com or cumminstool.com something like that. im shure you can google cummins tools and find them.

I always use an electric drill. I hate using those battery powered drills because every time I go to use one the battery seems to go dead halfway through the hole. My 35 year old metal Sears Craftsman still works as good as the day I bought it. I'll bet your battery powered ones won't work 35 years from now!

Well when using saber point sheet metal screws by the thousands I went to just a meek little 9 Volt Makita impact drill it is small and compact and will go between floor joist it only has the 1/4 inch disconnect and I use it for socket adaption for tearing down just about any thing it turns 2000 RPM and hits 2200 Time per minuet.
I have 5 of these and I tried a friends 14 Volt like drill and it is the same just stronger.
I also have just about all of the Dewalt 18 volt tools and have for 9 years tons of use installing heating systems and yes you do have to keep the battery's up for drilling I use the DeWalt's but for all the rest the compact Makita. I also have a bunch of Milwaukee corded drills and they have there place but the first reach is the cordless .
Steve :scooter:

For quick work I prefer a cordless. But if I am stripping rust or anything that is going to take alot of force or time ...a corded power drill is the only way to go. I haven't used air drills too much.
But on a side note....Dewalt drills are actually made by Black & Decker. The old drills (when they first came out) you could interchange the batteries from one to the other. You could also pop an 18V battery into a 12V drill and make it an 18V drill on the cheap. Probably tear up alot faster, but it did work. I am pretty sure you can't do that anymore. The battery was so huge that it would stick way out in front of the hand grip part of the drill. Now they mold little tabs into the battery and the socket so that they wont fit.

Last edited:
no one has mentioned milwaukee. i have an 1/2" electric drill, sawzall, and my 18v cordless drill that ive had for about 4 years now. one of the batteries finally sh!t the bed. to cheap to buy another batt but i will when the other goes.

Im a carpenter and i only have chorded tools. I have one craftsman battery drill and it stays in the basement in its case :) I use other peoples battery drills alot mainly dewalt but also rigid and milwaukee. They seem to work well but they always need a new battery and it gets annoying i usually end up pulling out my drills. I have two dewalt 3/8 drills and a milwaukee 1/2" and a hammer drill. The one dewalt has a crappy chuck i think its a newer model with a plastic chuck it wont clamp down hard enough bt the older one with the all metal chuck works great and i beat the snot out of those daily. Thats the thing with dewalts they always make that dewalt burning electric smell but never die :hack: I would love a milwaukee battery sawzall and/or grinder for the junk yard though :)

oldsledz

i use a drill master 18 volt 16 bucks used it for over a year alot have a extra battery got it from harbor freight
I have the same one and am happy with it but they are not the one to get if you use them every day.

You guys with the high dollar ones how long do you have them before the battery will not hold a charge vary long?