Engine basics for a complete noob

SCARE

Hi guys, I have tried to look for a general thread!
The things I need to know seem too basic maybe!

I am in the process of rebuilding this bike here:

I am putting that old engine away for now (still works, but rough as guts).
I will restore it in 10 years or so when I have time lol.

Definately want a fresh new engine for the upcoming summer.

My good friend put one of these on his mini (they are a good price, and have lasted):
6.5hp Engine @ Blackout Power Products -

Now, my freind is away on his honeymoon, and I want to get mine going before he gets back, so we can putt round together (before starting work on two more for our missus's).

But I don't know much about these (motorbikes yes, these not at all!).

I am confused.

I will probably get the 6.5hp.
I know I need a horizontal shaft.

What is a reduction gearbox?

What sized shaft is best?

Clutch?

Throttle?

I just have no idea what will work with what, and what to buy..

Thanks in advance.

(Or if there is a numb-nuts thread explaining all this, point me in the direction!)

TomH

search for 6.5 clone or harbor freight 6.5 hp clone. same engine. here in the U.S. they have discontinued that motor and gone to the 212cc predator. Plenty of parts for them though.

A reduction gearbox is a box that usually mounts to the motor and changes the gear ratio. They usually come in 2:1 and 6:1, but can come with other ratios.

You can get a 3/4" clutch for $25-30. But what is the clutch like that is on the current motor?

I don't know what an engine is worth in NZ.

In Canada or the USA you can get a clone like the onbe you linked to in the range of 99 dollars on sale to 160 regular price.

The engine you pictured is generic clone so I would think its a good engine to begin with.
Stay with a simple build.
35 chain, simple sprocket no gear reduction and shoot for a ratio of 5 or 6 : 1 on the sprockets.

Now as fate would have it I knew a guy who owns a buisnes in your neck of the woods called the " watt shop "
Last I heard he had clones too...