Engine ID help

I drove to Bloomington yesterday to pick up what I was told was a HS40. When I got there the first thing I noticed was the intake was on the right and exhaust on the left like an HS30. I haven`t messed with these things since the early 80`s and one thing I noticed was the ID numbers are on the back of the shroud near the top instead of on a rivetd tag on the fron near the bottom.
Anway here are the numbers 143 784172 SER9265B

So tell me guys what do I have?

It's an H model.... H30 or H35... The HS engines have the intake port on the left side.... That's HS... left hand intake.. If it's on the right it's an H or HH or HM those 3 horse motors are pretty well all aluminum and no steel bore or anything, so it is just H... H = Horizontal Crank.. HH is Horizontal Heavy Duty (ALL Iron Block) .... HM is Horizontal Medium Duty (Iron Bore Aluminum Block) it's either an H35 = 3.5 horse, or H30 = 3.0 horse...

It's an H model.... H30 or H35... The HS engines have the intake port on the left side.... That's HS... left hand intake.. If it's on the right it's an H or HH or HM those 3 horse motors are pretty well all aluminum and no steel bore or anything, so it is just H... H = Horizontal Crank.. HH is Horizontal Heavy Duty (ALL Iron Block) .... HM is Horizontal Medium Duty (Iron Bore Aluminum Block) it's either an H35 = 3.5 horse, or H30 = 3.0 horse...
Thanks. I kinda thought it was a 3 or 3.5 instead of a 4. I had several HS40`s back in the day including a ball bealing Rupp HS40.

Those Hs50's are running bitch.. A lighting coil is going to bankrupt you though.. A guy just sold a complete HS40 with 3 inch rupp crank AND aluminum flywheel lighting coil for 100 bucks. :eek:hmy: Thats DIRT cheap being those flywheels alone are 125 pretty easy on evilbay.. might see 200 for the setup on a good day.. :eek:hmy: I have a real nice HS50 for the flat mount applications but it has the iron flywheel and bosses for electric start because it was a snow blower motor.... I'd worry about all that later... I'd get your 3 horse running all nice and smooth and pertty first... :wink:

It`s a curse being me. All my toys have to be blue printed and optimized. I can`t leave anything stock, guns,motorcycles etc. I`m always looking for that last little performance edge. I see a Horstman kitted Briggs powered mini in my future. I`ve been rolling small engine hop up ideas around in my head since the 70`s, the other day an idea for a blow through supercharger setup popped into my head.
Now that I know about OldMiniBikes.com Welcome to OldMiniBikes.com - Vintage Mini Bike Community. Forum, Photo Album, Projects and more I`m turning into a monster!

It`s a curse being me. All my toys have to be blue printed and optimized. I can`t leave anything stock, guns,motorcycles etc. I`m always looking for that last little performance edge. I see a Horstman kitted Briggs powered mini in my future. I`ve been rolling small engine hop up ideas around in my head since the 70`s, the other day an idea for a blow through supercharger setup popped into my head.
Now that I know about OldMiniBikes.com Welcome to OldMiniBikes.com - Vintage Mini Bike Community. Forum, Photo Album, Projects and more I`m turning into a monster!
:lol: Superchargers have already been done. :scooter: Theres lots of crazy stuff out there..