engine id please

Hello, I am wondering if anyone knows what kind of engine this is. My freind who i got it from, says its an 8hp Briggs and Stratton, but isnt sure. He said he rebuilt it years ago, and never started it. Any help is appreciated.
Thank you
colsanders

and a random pic of my mini-bike

The 6hp, 7hp and 8hp all look the same from the outside. Look on the fan shroud for stamped numbers. If the model number starts with 14 it is a 6hp. If it starts with 17 is a 7hp and 8hp starts with 19. If there are no numbers on the shroud it is a 6hp. Motors made before 1963 had the model, type and serial numbers on a separate ID plate mounted above the crank output shaft. These plates were often lost since they were only held on by one screw.

8 head bolts makes this a 6hp. The 7hp and 8hp had 9 head bolts. Its getting hard to find parts for these old model 14 motors. They were made from 1948 to 1966. At first they were only rated at 5hp. Later they changed the rating to 5 1/4hp, then 5 3/4hp and finally 6hp. The displacement never changed, just the rating. When looking for parts, use the model #142302.

It can be difficult with the model 14 motor. Gaskets are the same as the 7hp and 8hp except for the head gasket. Valves are the same size although briggs started using the rotocoil exhaust valve on the 7hp. Piston and rings are the hardest to find since the model 14 is the only motor to use this size. Things get worse if your motor has a cast-iron sleave but it can still be done.

the numbers are very small,at least for my eies,look real good across the top
of the cooling shrould,maby you will be luckey :thumbsup: :thumbsup::smile: