Engine Powered Bike, Parts or Info Needed

My kid is determined to put together a gas powered bike to use at school. I know a while back some of the Cali guys like Edwin and EvilEd were fooling around with these but haven't heard much lately.

What is the story with these...does it need to be a 2 stroke or is there a small 4 cycle that will work. I think I heard to avoid the import motors because they are junk and there's no tech support or parts available but it seems like that's all that's out there :shrug:

If anybody has one or maybe a kit or engine they want to get rid of or you just have good info post it up here please....

Well the deal where he is, is that 50cc and under is ok for the street and to share the bike lane..no registration doesn't need to be street legal. I'm sure most cops aren't going to know if it's a slightly bigger displacement like 80cc. Not looking for a racing deal here it's just to fool around with and get to and from the campus. If you want something that blends in with the frame and still want functioning pedals I guess that pretty much limits you to a two stroke. I never paid attention to this stuff before so I'm just wondering if anybody on here has one or is building one.

I might look around for and Ohllson and Rice motor...made in USA and vintage so it's more to my liking. Only 1hp but if it can push a Tom Thumb around you should be able to make a bicycle go with it.

Iv got one I bought from TRK I still havnt put it on anything but it seems like itll do the job. It has a manual clutch I think theres suposed to be a locking handle for it for pedaling. but they come with a rear wheel sprocket that just clamps the spokes if you could make a better way to attatch that to the wheel youll have a better setup. Theres a motorized bike forum but i havnt been on there in a while Motorized Bicycle Forum | MotoredBikes.com

jeep4me

I know it's not exactly what you're looking to make, but I've always thought they were kinda kool.

Just need a junky old manco streaker, lil indian or ruttman frame....

I....... but they come with a rear wheel sprocket that just clamps the spokes if you could make a better way to attatch that to the wheel youll have a better setup.
I seen that deal where they just kinda line it up by eye and clamp the sprocket to the spokes...seems sketchy but I guess they need to market it to the masses who may or may not have the equipment or skills to modify parts.
I know it's not exactly what you're looking to make, but I've always thought they were kinda kool.

yeah that's a cool swap meet cruiser but not much for looking cool on campus...:eek:hmy:

I get the feeling it's not for your kid

is the bicycle itself a vintage bike?
It's for him alright...I can't talk him out of it. And to make it harder he wants to squeeze it into an old Huffy BMX bike which is a smaller frame than a cruiser or Mountain bike..

My dad had a Whizzer back when he was a kid in the early 50's. He wishes he'd kept it, me too. There's been a resurgence of motorized bikes. People go to great expense to customize them. There are plenty of all inclusive kits available. Whizzermotorbike.com

Home

I used a 66cc grubee skyhawk motor on my keystone , the original Tas motor was beyond rebuild

The 66cc started right up out of the box and works great
I orderd the optional pullstart for use on the minibike , there is also a automatic clutch available