Engine question?

if you can do it yourself, i think that would be best... i recently posted a thread where i am showing what im going through building a motor (with very little experience with small engines)... i set a budget and i can tell you that, for the same thing, would have costed me a significant amount more if i would have bought an engine with the same mods... would have costed me over $300 more and i bought some upgraded parts from what was available as a kit... in some places... i could have save even more money, if it werent for those parts... for instance adj push rods, wiseco piston, billet lifters, milled head and misc odds and ends, where i paid double shipping, bought parts that i didnt use, etc...

If the motor was built by someone reputable, and the price difference is resonable to you, go for the built one. I agree with 5HB that getting greasy in an engine is fun and rewarding; but if time is not on your side, having the engine done and done well will save a bunch of time and allow you to concentrate on other portions of the build. This can be especially beneficial if any part of your bike is dependent on having the engine completed before moving forward.

Damn I type slow. Plus I had two phone calls while typing.

"saved" over $300 more and i bought some upgraded parts from what was available as a kit... in some places... i could have save even more money, if it werent for those parts... for instance adj push rods, wiseco piston, billet lifters, milled head and misc odds and ends, where i paid double shipping, bought parts that i didnt use, etc...
If the motor was built by someone reputable, and the price difference is reasonable to you, go for the built one.
I agree with this too... and to add... the main purpose for my project was for me to do this myself, so even if i had not saved a dime, i would have still done this... considering other factors like, confident, stress, time, etc., it may be worth the extra money spent...

i know that i did a good job and posted all that i have done... however, I am still very nervous, as comes with this sort of thing and the experience level i have... if i would have purchased the motor from a place or person i trust... it would have eliminated much, if not all the stress of the build... in my case, that aspect of doing it myself and gaining the experience, was worth the stress, etc. and saved a significant amount of money at the same time...

I have little experience with small engines but I can say I'm confident I can mod one with all of you guys helping along the way:drinkup: I was checking out some engines, and my bro knows some people in LA and Compton that does engines. So I guess it depends on what they have for what price vs what I can start with and build my self for what price.:eek:ut:

I have little experience with small engines but I can say I'm confident I can mod one with all of you guys helping along the way:drinkup: I was checking out some engines, and my bro knows some people in LA and Compton that does engines. So I guess it depends on what they have for what price vs what I can start with and build my self for what price.:eek:ut:
Those guys in compton build some bad asss motors .:thumbsup:

Prebuild planning is part of the fun for me, enjoy the process!!! It's like window shopping for my wife; I get all giggly and stuffs.

I'll add this to the mix, as has been largely described by LSC and others here (guess I ain't addin' much then, am I?!?); if you have that itch in you to tinker, improve, tinker, improve; build it from the bottom up. If you can honestly admit right now that whatever engine you "complete" first will not be enough; build it from the bottom up.

Building it correctly won't be hard, and experiencing what is layed down here firsthand will bring sooo much clarity; but the biggest benifit will be, IMHO, the courage in tackling harder portions as they may come. Porting, changing tming with a degree wheel, some of the more permanent changes; they will all be more comfortable as you gain that mechanical experience with your engine.

Prebuild planning is part of the fun for me, enjoy the process!!! It's like window shopping for my wife; I get all giggly and stuffs.

I'll add this to the mix, as has been largely described by LSC and others here (guess I ain't addin' much then, am I?!?); if you have that itch in you to tinker, improve, tinker, improve; build it from the bottom up. If you can honestly admit right now that whatever engine you "complete" first will not be enough; build it from the bottom up.

Building it correctly won't be hard, and experiencing what is layed down here firsthand will bring sooo much clarity; but the biggest benifit will be, IMHO, the courage in tackling harder portions as they may come. Porting, changing tming with a degree wheel, some of the more permanent changes; they will all be more comfortable as you gain that mechanical experience with your engine.
Yea I'm going to build it. And when my project is complete I can say I did it and get that priceless feeling of accomplishment. I'm taking my time with everything so I can do it correctly. Thanks every one for your replies it's much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Yea I'm going to build it. And when my project is complete I can say I did it and get that priceless feeling of accomplishment. I'm taking my time with everything so I can do it correctly. Thanks every one for your replies it's much appreciated. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

Would I buy a pre-built performance engine from a reputable builder? Absolutely.

Would I buy a pre-built performance engine that Jack-Joe built in his basement? NO.

Unless something is a real honey of a deal, I stay away from any second-hand performance products/engines. Even if they did it right, you know that there's a good probability you're probably getting the last 10% out of that powerplant after having been thrashed for most of it's life.

Would I buy a pre-built performance engine from a reputable builder? Absolutely.

Would I buy a pre-built performance engine that Jack-Joe built in his basement? NO.

Unless something is a real honey of a deal, I stay away from any second-hand performance products/engines. Even if they did it right, you know that there's a good probability you're probably getting the last 10% out of that powerplant after having been thrashed for most of it's life.

Makes perfect sense to me.