exhaust modification

i need to dent my exhaust in so i can tighten 1 of the exhaust bolts. but i dont own a torch. can heat it in a fire pit full of coals. please help

trinik7597

if the nut is hitting the weld on the flange you could always grind it with a angle grinder . and to answer your question that's how blacksmiths did it :thumbsup:

it does not matter how it gets hot!
I was thinking he was wondering if the coals would get hot enough to do this. At least that was my first thought when I read it. I'd imagine there would have to be a real big time blacksmith-esq fire pit going with a whole lot of stoking.

I've been wondering if those disposable plumbers torches can heat a pipe enough to bend it. I'm guessing yes if coals will do it.

CarPlayLB

I was thinking he was wondering if the coals would get hot enough to do this. At least that was my first thought when I read it. I'd imagine there would have to be a real big time blacksmith-esq fire pit going with a whole lot of stoking.

I've been wondering if those disposable plumbers torches can heat a pipe enough to bend it. I'm guessing yes if coals will do it.
I have tried that. It doesn't make enough heat to get everything red the entire circumference of the pipe. I am thinking hot coals from a fire and a little air blown in may work. Wife won't let me put a minibike in the fireplace, so I have not tried that!

You can pack the tube with sand and cap the ends it will keep the pipe from crimping during the bending and will provide a nice smooth bend
!!!Make sure to not seal the pipe so hot gasses can escape when heated if they become trapped or can not escape fast enough you have a bomb on your hands !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mores code

trinik7597

I have tried that. It doesn't make enough heat to get everything red the entire circumference of the pipe. I am thinking hot coals from a fire and a little air blown in may work. Wife won't let me put a minibike in the fireplace, so I have not tried that!
what the heck do you need a fireplace for ambiance :laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
One of those asphalt torches from harbor freight you hook to a propane tank will get it glowing hot. They're loud when fully flowing and work great for melting ice on the driveway lol

HAHA... Shall I throw another minibike on the fire, Darling? Ohhh yes dear!