exhaust valve replacment

I was replacing the exhaust valve on a briggs flat head and there are 2 retainers 1 is the (thicker lock retainer) one the other is thin washer type(not retaining)
I put the thin one on the top of the thich retainer on the bottom looks like it fits well..and seem to function when I rotate crank??

does anyone know for sure??
thanx John

I'm not 100% sure but if I recall correctly the 2 retainer washers you mention hold the valve spring in place I believe at the bottom of the valve just before it goes into the engine is a notch in the valve stem this is where the lock retainer should go.
Maybe one of the more experienced members will ring in with some additional advise..

Kids don't try this at home
Gun the engine a few times if you did it right nothing will happen on the flip side the worst that will happen is your engine will EXPLODE:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yr5a69TxNI&feature=channel

Last edited:
You should become a film director

I'm not 100% sure but if I recall correctly the 2 retainer washers you mention hold the valve spring in place I believe at the bottom of the valve just before it goes into the engine is a notch in the valve stem this is where the lock retainer should go.
Maybe one of the more experienced members will ring in with some additional advise..

Kids don't try this at home
Gun the engine a few times if you did it right nothing will happen on the flip side the worst that will happen is your engine will EXPLODE:eek:

YouTube - how to do a valve job on a lawnmower
Great advice and excellent video!!!!

Thanx