Fat tire fun

I'm planning a fat-tire "mini" and got started on some of the work for the engine.

Crappy stock manifold and reed plate.
s-l1600.jpg

Hopefully less-crappy version. 8 petals vs 3, streamlined intake vs the dead-end.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
Stock slug and the coated replacement. Shorter pin height to ease port timing shuffling, reduce net case volume for stuffing, etc.
I milled the booster slot and tidied up the skirt cut after pic.
I ended up roughly splitting the difference by cutting both ends of the jug.
Effectively raised ports 2mm and set quench at 1.25mm.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Very interesting and what engine is this?

You seem to know your 2 cycle engine theory quite well.

Keep the posts coming!

It's a Fuji/Robin as used by EZ-Go, a close cousin to the Polaris 250 2-stroke ATV, 250 Polaris Star single sled and the 400-440-488 twins that offshot. The others are all piston-port and I've been hooked on reeds for 40 years. I'm going to use a single jug from the 488 in the mini bike build, and add a cage so I can lower the jug to detune the exhaust duration without adding too much intake. Later models went to a jug-reed setup but are still iron, so I'm making my own alloy version by chopping up an old 440 Yamaha jug and hot-gluing it to the Fuji PP intake.

5.jpg

6.jpg

I found a Yamaha 200 Blaster pipe at the scrapyard, where most of my stuff comes from, and the can from an old sled pipe.
Dimensions and torque curve were similar to what I wanted, but the bends were all wrong.
Well, I have an angle-grinder and a hot-glue machine...

pipe.jpg

Blastoid, pre-chop
pype.JPG

Lame stock no-spansion setup
ez.jpg

Last edited: