Fire

My sonS friend started his doodlebug and it caught fire. Burnt the seat, cables, gas lines, filter and chain tensioner. Almost caught the house on fire. My son has not come home yet but it was his pride and joy.
Not sure what to do; things are so tight right now. I can't just run out and get him a new one.
Thankful no one got hurt but it still sucks.

Not sure what to do; things are so tight right now. I can't just run out and get him a new one.
Don't buy another one? Minibikes are toys and if you can't afford to play with them don't buy another one. Your kid isn't going to die because you can't get him a new minibike.

toomanytoys

Don't buy another one? Minibikes are toys and if you can't afford to play with them don't buy another one. Your kid isn't going to die because you can't get him a new minibike.
Do you have kids? I know now that my parents did without a lot of things so I could have a minibike when I was a kid. I asked him as an adult why he did that, if he needed things, and he said, when you have kids you will understand.

DZLBIKE

With all that is burnt why not take this as a reason to do the 6.5 motor swap?
Joekd makes a good point, this is an excellent opportunity to introduce your son and his friend to some wrench time. Some of my son's best memories are of time we spent together fixing or modifying things. Do an autopsy on the original engine, use it as a teaching aid as to how a piston, cam, valves, and such all work together to make the thing go. Be sure to take plenty of pictures, or even a scrap book, you will be amazed at how fast time moves on.
Another, intermediate step would be to buy a little used lawn edger and robbing it of its small Briggs or Tecumseh horizontal shaft motor. This will be a great upgrade over your original engine. These are plentiful in most areas.

I took the liberty of poking around in a Craigslist near you..:thumbsup:
Gas Edger

PatrickCraik

Joekd makes a good point, this is an excellent opportunity to introduce your son and his friend to some wrench time. Some of my son's best memories are of time we spent together fixing or modifying things. Do an autopsy on the original engine, use it as a teaching aid as to how a piston, cam, valves, and such all work together to make the thing go. Be sure to take plenty of pictures, or even a scrap book, you will be amazed at how fast time moves on.
Another, intermediate step would be to buy a little used lawn edger and robbing it of its small Briggs or Tecumseh horizontal shaft motor. This will be a great upgrade over your original engine. These are plentiful in most areas.

Gas Edger

I agree with this and audibohn20,My dad gave me the remaining $65 to buy my Ruttman Toad back in '73. I know he could have used it better for himself or the house but he knew how much I wanted one the last few years and I worked @ the local carwash to save much as I could.He saw how how much fun they were and how it could teach me me basic engine mechanics and keep me outta trouble,which it did.

Good idea.
Have to find, brake and throttle cables. Hand throttle, grips, seat, rubber chain tensioner. Any Ideals on the seat? Or other parts.

Gas Edger

Have to find, brake and throttle cables. Hand throttle, grips, seat, rubber chain tensioner. Any Ideals on the seat? Or other parts.
The brake and throttle cables can be had cheaply from members who have upgraded to hydro brakes and 6.5 clones. If you go with a little Briggs or Tecumseh you may not need the chain tensioner, at least not the rubber one. I'd salvage what I could from the old seat and make a duct tape cover for it. My little ratbike is now sporting a herringbone duct tape seat.

Post a few pictures of the carnage!

Make a list of things you need, I'm sure we can scrounge up enough used hardware to get the kid going. :scooter:

I just got a 6.5hp for my mini.

You pay shipping and I will send you my old engine. Eff those bitter people, I wish I had a dad like you when I was a kid.

Last edited:

joekd

I use bike brake cables for my all my throttle and brake setups, get them cheap at any sporting goods shop or even walmart

I have a Briggs 3.5 I will donate. You pay shipping. Or I will gladly make a paypal donation to the OldMiniBikes Warehouse for parts you need so long as Hent is cool with it?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk