First attempt at a Build

Here goes my first attempt at a mini bike build. I picked a ragged out frame in need of Lots of TLC. Knee Replacement surgery slowed me down but Yellow Hand urged me to get busy, so I did. Here are a few pics of what I've done so far. The aluminum rear wheel had a big hole in the rim so I replaced it with a new one from Northern Tool with hub and 60 tooth sprocket. This didn't fit the frame so I created a rear frame section made from 3 in. channel iron and some 1/4 in. plate. Everything welded and braced , the rear hoop is 1 in. square tubing
The seat mount is 1 in. square with a front hingepin mount, attached to a rear shock from a old Honda bike. Probably make some sort of solo seat with a lip on the rear to keep me from sliding off the rear. Had to have some spring for my bad back.
The handlebars are a work in progress sort of a Ape hanger look. Still have a few other ideas .
For power I have chosen a 6.5 hp clone from Harbor Freight with a clutch I picked up at Tractor Supply. More to come later wish me luck. Thanks for getting me going Yellow Hand.:thumbsup::scooter: View attachment 4918

View attachment 4919

View attachment 4920

View attachment 4921

View attachment 4922

Last edited:
I like the shock mount. If you don't mind, I'd like to copy that for my mini-trike.:thumbsup:

I suspect you won't wear out that rear frame any time soon.

I think you did a damn good job with your design. There's no way in hell that back end is going to break. I enjoy welding and designing parts. I think it's the thrill of viewing the final product and knowing that I built it versus buying eveything I need.
Where are you going to mount the tow hitch?...just kidding...
Seriously, you built a stout rear end and that should provide you with a smooth ride, which is sounds like your back will need.
Keep posting pictures, we all enjoy them.
Good luck,
Larry

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments, I hope to get alot more done today.I actually did think of putting a hitch on it , I'll wait until later to decide.

'Minibike therapy' is good for the soul and the body...that knee will be better in no time at all.

...and we all enjoy watching a build come together...thanks for posting it.

Finally got it running

I know it has been a looooooong time, but I finally got my ugly mini project going up and down the driveway. Hopefully I can get some updated pics, a few at a time. Just gotta figure out the upload procedure.