First Mini Bike Project

I got this a few weeks ago with the intention of painting it, but since it's my first motorized bike :biggrin: and it was in such good shape I decided to keep the finish as is.

I was ready to just go get a new engine and start fresh but Chipper helped convince me to get the Greyhound running again. I took it apart some to clean up what I could while I wait for the rest of the engine parts to get here. Not pictured is the stripped main jet screw in the carburetor that I failed to extract so I ordered a new carb that just showed up today along with a new fuel line & gas tank filter. A metal inline fuel filter & new throttle rod/springs should all be here by Tuesday.

The bad clutch was absolutely rusted on the engine shaft, but some Kroil and 5 min with the engine on its side so the Kroil could creep down allowed it to come off with a few light hammer taps.

The gas tank had rust in it, I used apple cider vinegar and a handful of screws and washers to get it out. After the vinegar I immediately neutralized it with a 4 Tbsp per gallon distilled water/baking soda solution, rinsed with water, dried with compressed air, then rinsed with gasoline.

After disassembling & degreasing the frame I "cut" the finish with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound by hand and waxed it with some old Meguiar's liquid wax I had laying around. Applying compound by hand is strenuous so I was considering using a Mother's PowerBall Mini or PowerCone but determined they wouldn't give the pressure needed to really get into the finish. The last picture is exactly how the bike sits right now. Edit: You can also see the two added washers in the steering stem to eliminate up/down travel.

I'll be sure to take a video when I attempt to start the engine in the next few days.

Last edited:
Nice work! Almost new!

Better to get what you have running than just throw parts at it.

The "paint" on those DB30's is more like powdercoat and better to keep than paint over.

Thank you guys for the positive words, it motivates me to do a good job on the bike. Today the rest of the engine stuff and some other items came in so by tomorrow afternoon it should hopefully be up and running. Can't wait!

It's alive! Here's the very first pull after it was put back together. Thank you very much to everyone on this forum for all the help & info provided.

Things done/added:

Degreased with Simple Green
Wire brushed rust off flywheel
Compounded & waxed flywheel cover
Rotated pull starter handle to top
De-rusted gas tank
New gas tank filter
New fuel line
New carburetor/gaskets/insulator spacer
New governor rod, speed control spring, throttle return spring
Fogged with Sta-Bil fogging oil
NGK BP6ES
16oz Mobil 1 10W-30
91 octane gas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i98dtx_sa4

Shoooot not bad at all! I was a little shocked it started that quick. Clutch/guard, chain, engine mount plate and rear tire should all be here soon, then its time to lay patch down the highway :scooter:

Late last week I got the rear Snow Hog 15x5.00x6 and put it on along with the brake. What a wresting match it was getting that tire on the wheel, definitely something I won't do again. I'll be getting the hydraulic brake setup extremely soon but wanted something just in case I was able to take the bike for a really slow test ride if I got it functioning.

Out with the old plate.

New Clutch.

Engine & drivetrain finally back in. Unfortunately the gas cap doesn't fit, so I have to find a slimmer one to clear the frame. As I was hooking the throttle cable back up, I noticed it was slightly frayed near the end of the sleeve causing it not to fully return to closed position. My first ride will have to wait until I get a new cable and figure out what to do for a fuel cap.

Last edited:
Would the cap clear if you got rid of engine mounting plate ? Those lifans have a tall tank , may can find a Predator or Honda tank ? I didn't use the mounting plate on mine w/Predator and you can just get cap on and off , no room to spare and fill w/ funnel ! Looking Good :thumbsup:

Thanks! Yeah the cap would clear, it was barely clearing for the previous owner with the thinner steel plate they had installed. Late last night I went ahead and ordered a Honda tank since it was on sale for $20 shipped. The picture of the tank has the slimmer cap on it so that's what I'm expecting to show up. The added benefit if it works out is that the engine looks better with all the extra hoses and heat shield, etc. removed.