First ride on old Cat.

Rode my old 1969 Cat 250X today for the first time since 1972.I restored it because I bought it new,had a lot of fun with it,and I like redoing the simple things.After redoing old cars from the ground up for 35 years,I like these kinds of things where I can do a complete frame up in a few days if I like.I knew all along I would never be able to ride it,but I managed to put about 2000 feet on it today.I rode out to my mailbox and back.I must have been one tough kid to hammer that thing around the way I did when I was 13-14-15.There is no way I could take that kind of beating today.The new clutch acts different than the original one did.My original two shoe,skinny thing slipped smoothly as it engaged,all the way up to top speed.My modern new clutch engages smoothly,then at about 5-10 MPH it seems to lock up solid.The revs drop and all the power goes to the back wheel.I don;t know if it is normal or not.Now I'm going to do my sisters old Rupp Rascal,and my friends old Charger.I can fit both on the hydraulic table,so I'm going to do both at the same time.They were both purple,so they will both get painted at the same time.They will favor the Rupp purple.

I'm trying to figure out how to get pictures into the new computer.I'm a technophobe,I don't have a camera in my phone,no texting,no faxing,just a phone I pick up and dial.My telephones have dials,they do not plug in,they are wired into the walls.My TV has rabbit ears.There is supposedly a little box I can buy to plug into my computer for pictures.I did get a digital camera for pictures though,that's new to me too.I'm just dipping my toe into the new century.With this little bike I keep finding production mistakes that I never noticed back when it was new,not that I would have cared.They just give it a personality.I posted before that the fork neck gusset was never welded to the frame.They welded it,but the weld only melted into one side of what needed welding.the seat plywood was about an inch shorter on one side than the other.They corrected it by trimming the foam to match.A new thing I noticed this morning is that the frame loops are not in line with each other.The right frame loop is about 3/8 of an inch ahead of the left on in the front,at the fork neck.They either welded the rear wheel tab in a different spot to compensate for it,OR,the rear wheel tabs were already welded on at the time of production and they slid the right frame half ahead to make it fit.

TomH

Welcome. I have an old Cat myself. There is a Cat owners group on here too. I am not much better. Some digital camera's come with a cord that plugs into your computer. You can get one at Radio shack. Take the camera in there they will fix you up. We aren't letting ya get by without any pics:laugh::laugh: