fixing a ez-spin cam

oldfatguy

I found an easy way to cut the high spot off an ez spin cam. I chucked the cam in my metal lathe and used a dial indicator to see where the high spot was. Then I put the cutter on the bottom of the lobe and turned the lathe chuck back and forth by hand to shave off the spot .This about .010 high from the bottom of the exhaust lobe to about half way up the side. Then just clean it up and blend it in with a fine file, recheck with the dial indicator and you're done. For those that don't know, the ez-spin feature slightly opens the exaust valve on the compression stroke to make the engine easier for joe homeowner to pull start. This compression loss can only rob low end power and torque. Cutting it off the cam is better then grinding the valve shorter because you are losing lift . If you want to check your briggs to see if it has the ez-spin do this. Take the head off and turn the engine by hand if you see the exaust valve open slightly on the compression stroke it is an ez spin engine. I don't know how much power loss it causes but this is something to deal with if you do are going to mill the head and stuff to get more performance .

oldfatguy

this is for a 3 horse briggs, nothing else is available for it. the only other choice is to find a cam from a 1962 or older engine. I found that using the lathe was quicker and easier then trying to file it off. I'm hoping that the increased compression will boost the low end torque.

e z spin cam

Don't have any pics on this? I don't care what anyone thinks, even small hp motors are worth a little work. Doing a 3 hp right now just for fun.

I don't have a lathe so I filed mine off by hand on the HSSK50 engine and smoothed it wet and dry.
Takes forever and a day cleaning it each time and putting it back in the engine to check the clearance over and over again.

I haven't got the engine back up and running yet as I'm adding a mechanical rev counter drive to the end of the cam too.

But in theory filing off the BCR by hand should be ok if you don't have a lathe as there is no valve spring pressure/load on the base circle of the cam. The phrase valve clearance is deceptive, the main function of valve clearance is actually to lubricate between the cam before lifting the cam follower.

oldfatguy

filing will work fine if you take your time and don't take too much off so that you end up with too much valve clearance. But even then the worse thing it will cause is a valve tap. One trick is to color the cam lobe with magic marker or machinist blue to see where it's still touching.

Last edited:
I reinstalled the camshaft each time I filed it until I had the .008" I wanted on the full base circle.

I much prefer your method on a lathe, but unfortunately the only thing I possess lathe-wise is envy!

Cuda54

So how much of a difference is there after you cut the cam? I have a older 3hp brigs on a old go cart pull tractor my nephew won back in the 70s. It could use all of the power it can get from the 3hp. And I would like to know if cutting the cam is worth the trouble. I have a small lathe that I could cut it on.

Back in the 70's I noticed the small bump on my 3.5 side popper, thought it was a manufacturing mistake, ground it down. Sure helped with a smoother idle and low end torque. Only slightly hard to pull start.

Cuda54

Oldfatguy your photobucket file is not working to show how you cut that cam. We have a little snow so we were going to work on the cam now. Thanks!

oldfatguy

the photo bucket link should work now .

http://vid568.photobucket.com/albums/ss125/oldfatguy/stellar mini bike h60 tecumseh/briggs001.mp4

this is a video of my 3hp briggs running after the cam was modified.

you can do it with a file too if you need to. Try using a magic marker on the cam lobe to see where the lifter is still touching.. I found that the engine is easier to start, that briggs will start on the first or second pull even after sitting for a while. It does have a milled head on it too. I would do this mod for people but the cost of mailing the cam makes it not worth it.

CarPlayLB

the photo bucket link should work now .

http://vid568.photobucket.com/albums/ss125/oldfatguy/stellar mini bike h60 tecumseh/briggs001.mp4

this is a video of my 3hp briggs running after the cam was modified.

you can do it with a file too if you need to. Try using a magic marker on the cam lobe to see where the lifter is still touching.. I found that the engine is easier to start, that briggs will start on the first or second pull even after sitting for a while. It does have a milled head on it too. I would do this mod for people but the cost of mailing the cam makes it not worth it.
Sending things through the mail is relatively inexpensive. Cheaper than sending a gas tank! I am sure if anyone needs machine work done they could pay for shipping both ways!