Fixing stuff...parts..?! rant/story

toomanytoys

I started a new project to do some repair work to my Ariens GT17 Garden tractor a few weeks ago. I cut grass with it about 6 times, found a few leaks on the pump again, a leak in the rear end, and a few odds and ends(loose steering, rattles, bangs, ect). Figured I'd replace the rigged up air cleaner and get the proper one.

I bought this thing at an auction, as I had posted before. I thought well I haven't seen too many older Ariens tractors, but its a reasonably well known brand with a Kohler engine. Plus the thing is a tank.

Well, I've read many stories about Ariens and their decline. They were bought by gravely sometime in the late 80s early 90s. And Gravely still sells parts for the older tractors. But holy crap. I wanted to redo the steering. Tie rod ends, 38 bucks apiece! tie rod 49 bucks! I about crapped.

So the search began. Figured out the sizes, ect and found parts for various other tractors that fit or could be made to fit. Also bought some parts from mcmaster. Fixed the entire front end, for under 20 bucks.

Pulled apart the rear end and cleaned it all up. Gasket set from gravely, 70 bucks. 2 rolls of gasket material and a gasket punch set. 15 dollars!

I do need a new hood. 94 dollars on ebay free shipping, gonna have to jump on that one.

enginuity pays off, still thing the secondhand parts market rely on us being to lazy to source from some where else.

Dealer wanted $200 to do the brake on my wifes Jetta , did it myself for $50 using genuine parts not bought from the dealer

toomanytoys

I blew two hydraulic lines this morning. Got them off last night, left for work early stopped at a buddy who owns a hydraulic shop and he made me up 2 hoses, with fittings for 18.95.

Cost of hoses from gravely, 54.95 and 49.95

Waaaa! Going to have him make me up some hoses for the lift system here soon.

Its much cheaper to have them made.

I used to make hoses myself for the mechanics when we were all young and green.
They ran like mad fixing the mobile equipment.

When I would hear the call on the radio for #16 48 inches straight straight for example and I had some slack I would run up to the hose shop and whip one up then run it down tot the beat mechanic.
When I was running and needed something like a splice kit or electrical supplies they would run it for me.

At one point I was taking some simple mobile like calls and they were..... Uhm doing some unauthorized electrical resets.
No one found out and we all kept our sanity.

This is a story that goes no place.....
Except I admit to screwing up a few hoses learning how to use the crimper and this can be dangerous....

toomanytoys

I used to be the hose bitch. I hated when you had to skive them. Rubber stinks. We had this cut off saw with a solid steel blade with no teeth. it would screech and scream. used to scare me. I prefer using a chop saw.

Should of made the lift hoses today I blew out 2 lift hoses. I was pretty mad.

Gotta work on my speed control linkage.

Deciding on a color can't decide between lime green or a metallic purple.

Last edited:

toomanytoys

Its all fixed up. Not painted or cleaned other than a quick degreasing. This winter it will get sandblasted and repainted. A lot of sheet metal on this thing.

Runs like a champ. I hit a little tree stump in the yard again. The other tractors the belt slips, this thing chopped it off.

Only complaints the drive shaft deck is awfully loud. Sounds like a freight train, almost need hearing protection when cutting.

MB165

any chance you can cut off the tierod drill and tap it, then get some good studs. now you can use cheapo tie rod ends for other brands. i saved my 1967 bolens that way.