Flywheel key

Is flywheel nut torqued to factory spec? Is Belleville washer (if equipped) placed correctly?
Taper on flywheel and crankshaft should be clean and dry. Clean both surfaces with alcohol.

Last edited:
Is flywheel nut torqued to factory spec? Is Belleville washer (if equipped) placed correctly?
Taper on flywheel and crankshaft should be clean and dry. Clean both surfaces with alcohol.

There was no washer when I took just the cup that held the mesh in place. It must be missing I'll look for a washer in my tech parts box.

JustEnough

You may have to lap the surfaces for a snug fit. If the flywheel surface does not mate with the crank, it may put too much force on the key. You can buy valve lapping compound for a few bucks at an auto parts store, put a little on the crank and flywheel (where they touch) and turn the flywheel back and forth for a minute, with no key in place. Then clean the surfaces thoroughly, install a new key and tighten it down.

Does any one know what these key are made of is it just mild steel or some other softer mix of steel.
Off hand, I do not know, but perhaps someone else does.
Do not try to go to something harder as it will give you more problems.
If you take away the ability to shear, crankshaft and/or flywheel can be destroyed. It is a safety feature.

Well i had a Bellville washer in the parts box and installed it. but how are you supposed to set timing at if when you install the flywheel the is no way to measure 10,000 of an inch.

I set the point at 20,000 but I can not see a way to measure the gap on the magneto.

Hey Lawn-Boy biker guess what, I readjusted the main high speed screw to only 1 turn and vroom it started right up and seem to smooth out a bit. It still has a stumble and gives a puff of smoke. maybe I have it to lean. I'm sure it was to rich at 1 1/2 turns on the main

I started 1.5 turns on my HS40 and it was too much. Crank it in 1/8th turn then try, do again if not right. I left my idle main at 1 turn out.

lawn-boy biker: thanks you for your help. Two keys sheared before I realized with your help that it was missing the bellville washer. I found a bellville washer in the HS40 parts box and installed and that seems fine now, I'm still having a carb problem.

Carb issues
After realizing that fumes that we killing trying to keep it running with the main at 1 1/2 turns was just too much partially burnt fuel I decided to go only 1 turn and resolved some running problem, I still must fine tune it but hope to get it it right on tonight.

cncsparky: I'm trying 1 1/4 on the low idle to tonight, I'm new to this so it is complete trial and error. I hope I can eliminate that puff of smoke when I wack the throttle I think it carburation as opposed to oil. I'm not sure but the smoke must be still to rich what do you think?

When I got this mini it didn't have a recoil some one removed it and also set point at thirty, so I changed that back to .020, The compression seems fine, if your not paying attention when pulling the starter it will compression lock from time to time and rip the handle through your finger even with a good key in place. It came with an Tecumseh adjustable diaphram still carb, so I think the motor is an off the shelf replacement for the original. It also doesn't have 45 degree angled intake. I think it probably worked fine with the diaphram carb and the 90 degree intake. I may end up re-installing the carb it came with for this reason until I get another the proper intake.

Last edited:
Black smoke = rich. Kinda' stinks too.
Adjust low speed needle for highest idle then back it off slightly. Should be just a touch rich to prevent bog-down when throttling up.
Adjust high speed needle similarly when under a load.
It's a trial and error thing.
Remember that slightly rich is better than anything lean.

Black smoke = rich. Kinda' stinks too.
Adjust low speed needle for highest idle then back it off slightly. Should be just a touch rich to prevent bog-down when throttling up.
Adjust high speed needle similarly when under a load.
It's a trial and error thing.
Remember that slightly rich is better than anything lean.
Thanks again I'll definately follow up on my progress after I try. My better half informs me its my turn to baby sit tonight so it will half to wait until tomorrow.