Flywheel question.

Hey everyone I'm planning to buy the 6.5hp engine off of OldMiniBikes for 135 bucks. How much better is the aluminum flywheel than the steel? Will the steel flywheel be strong enough to be safe with that engine or should I go ahead and get the aluminum?
Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

toomanytoys

To run the engine safely on a mini wothout the gov you need a billet flywheel and billet rod.

Iys built for a cart where explosing happens behind you not under the boys.

So the steel flywheel wouldn't be a good idea for that engine?

I can't believe the smart guys haven't answered your question, so I will. (grin)

You only need that fancy billet aluminum flywheel if you are going to turn excessive RPM- i.e., run the engine without the governor attached.

On a stock engine, the original flywheel is fine.

And to prove how much I have learned by simple osmosis, and not a bit of empirical knowledge, let me add that if you were to build this motor for more power, (increased RPM) you would need a billet flywheel, stronger valve springs, forged or billet connecting rod, cam, carburetion/intake and exhaust mods.

toomanytoys

The engine he is looking at for 135 has no governor.

Wasted Parts Removed & Great Quality Control
Wasted parts that kart racers remove, such as the governor and the low oil sensor are left out. Some protective oil was put into the engines during assembly to avoid corrosion NO RUST INSIDE, and about one in ten engines is started at the factory as part of the quality control process. The quality is simply amazing at such a low price

The engine he is looking at for 135 has no governor.
Thanks Toys. I didn't realize it was the BSP bare bones. For the experts, (not me) here are the rest of the specs if (like me) you didn't bother to go over to OldMiniBikes, look under engines and figure out what he was talking about. LOL!

JT, the order form give you the opportunity to add a billet flywheel for a buck-o-five. That's what I'd do.

Select Your Flywheel
This engine comes without a flywheel. Add a billet steel or aluminum flywhel in the product options for safety when running higher RPMs. This flywheel is mandatory for BSP racing!

Max Stroke Crankshaft
Forged "Max Stroke" 2.130" +/-.002 Stoke Crankshaft with hardened journals

BSP-2 Cam
NEW BSP-2 Box Stock Cam pre-installed in engine

Ruxing Carb
Ruxing Carb with adjustable idle mixture screw No "chatter" carbs here

Piston Specs
Piston is .003" to .008" in the hole yielding a low 26.8cc to 27.2cc combustion chamber volume

High Flow Head Casting

toomanytoys

Thanks Toys. I didn't realize it was the BSP bare bones. For the experts, (not me) here are the rest of the specs if (like me) you didn't bother to go over to OldMiniBikes, look under engines and figure out what he was talking about. LOL!

JT, the order form give you the opportunity to add a billet flywheel for a buck-o-five. That's what I'd do.

Select Your Flywheel
This engine comes without a flywheel. Add a billet steel or aluminum flywhel in the product options for safety when running higher RPMs. This flywheel is mandatory for BSP racing!

Max Stroke Crankshaft
Forged "Max Stroke" 2.130" +/-.002 Stoke Crankshaft with hardened journals

BSP-2 Cam
NEW BSP-2 Box Stock Cam pre-installed in engine

Ruxing Carb
Ruxing Carb with adjustable idle mixture screw No "chatter" carbs here

Piston Specs
Piston is .003" to .008" in the hole yielding a low 26.8cc to 27.2cc combustion chamber volume

High Flow Head Casting
I couldn't agree more. But I would also order a Billet rod to go with it. Might as well make it a whole package.

That way you have a solid engine. I understand wanting the most HP for your buck, but honestly, I think everyone here has tried to cut corners, do things cheaply, and end up with either a poor running engine, or an engine that explodes.

I think everyone here has tried to cut corners, do things cheaply, and end up with either a poor running engine, or an engine that explodes.
True- there is so much knowledge out there already on what these take. NOS was talking about cheaper ways to build using parts from better motors as well.

Rod is what, another 50 bucks? lol, another case of the "mightaswells."

toomanytoys

True- there is so much knowledge out there already on what these take. NOS was talking about cheaper ways to build using parts from better motors as well.

Nos is pretty darn smart. I'm better at taking parts I buy and putting them together than taking time to make stuff work.

The steel flywheel is good investment.
It was created as a discount way to improve the safety of these engines.
I believe it is rated at 9000 rpm....

The reason you don't see the GXV flywheel used much these days is the new Steel flywheels are cheaper.

Don't be confused about steel billet and stock!
The steel billet is a true racing part, its just cheaper than the older standards like the ARC billet.

PLV also makes and economy racing flywheel, Its good too!
http://www.betrammotorsports.com/po...age=0&osCsid=27ce58e6dce5ba28eb375f610aabd131
There are also some rival manufactures of billet steel flywheels ( these are all Chinese BTW, but they were ordered for racing and are safe )

So steel flywheel should be okay for that engine?

Yes I just said that.

Replacing the Cast Iron chinese Flywheel with a Billet steel one from OldMiniBikes is a wise choice.

Be sure whomever you buy from that it is steel billet and not a stock Honda or chinese iron.

Yes I just said that.

Replacing the Cast Iron chinese Flywheel with a Billet steel one from OldMiniBikes is a wise choice.

Be sure whomever you buy from that it is steel billet and not a stock Honda or chinese iron.
NOS - what i believe to be a reliable source told me that honda GX
flywheels are rated for continuous operation at 10K rpm. for the
current build i'm going with an aluminum billet just because i havent
seen a spec from honda on these parts. what is your take on this??

:thumbsup:

I have a flywheel story the motor that is on the super powell which is electric start has a stock HONDA flywheel on it . I have seen 8k riding it , now i was a little nervous . The motor came from NR racing and we were told by Russell that the HONDA flywheel would be fine at these RPM'S . Now i also posted on BOBS4cycle this ?? about the motor combo and flywheel and who built it and all the builders said it would be fine , and nobody had seen a HONDA flywheel come apart . I think if i hadn't of said who built the motor that the response would have been different .

65ShelbyClone

You can't drop names or sources over at 4cycle because the "club" over there favors the site's sponsors and known builders.

Whatever flywheel you get, get a billet one.

NOS - what i believe to be a reliable source told me that honda GX
flywheels are rated for continuous operation at 10K rpm.
They're not "rated" at all. They can be relied upon to hold together indefinitely at 4000rpm and below. That's it; any higher is outside of the intended use. I think ARC had one put on a spin test fixture and it didn't burst at 10k, but that was is no way representative of actual conditions.

Genuine Honda flywheels are simply less likely to burst than the Chinese junk and the Chinese ones do come unglued once in a while. Some racers think that just because they have never seen or had one do it, that it never happens. I never had my feet get blown off by an automotive driveline explosion, so those don't happen either. Don Garlits made it all up so he could sell rear-engine dragsters. :rolleyes: