Forgotten JC Penney Rebuild.

Jade

Looking for a garden hose in the crawlspace under my house, and I found an old mini bike that I put there probably 15 years ago! Had completely forgotten about it. Looking for information on it, I found this great forum here, and you all have inspired me to rebuild it. The original Briggs engine has no spark, ... believe it or not, there's still fuel in the tank! LOL... I'll be putting a 212 Predator on it for the time being, but I like the look of the old Briggs, So I'll probably rebuild that engine over the winter.

Here's what we've got so far, but I've got all the parts, so It should go fast!

20161230_174950.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Jade

The tires are not too bad, so I'll reuse them. Got as much of the old paint off the wheels as I could, scuffed em, and primed them.

20161231_130845.jpg

Jade

The original seat had been poorly coverd with some black vinyl. I removed it, and found the wood to be rotten. The original padding has no support to it at all, and to top it off it's all mildewy... So I'm gonna attempt to make a new seat..

20170107_133959.jpg 20170107_134035.jpg 20170107_135751.jpg

Jade

Gotta get some vinyl before I can finish my seat, but the wheels, and tires, are on, and the engine is just sitting there. The original Predator Gas Tank won't fit. So I guess I'll have to make one.

20161231_195118.jpg

markus

Fun find right there :thumbsup: Yours is a few years newer version, but heres some inspiration for ya: 1971 playboy playmate Heather Van Every on with her Penney's bike

Jade

Fun find right there :thumbsup: Yours is a few years newer version, but heres some inspiration for ya: 1971 playboy playmate Heather Van Every on with her Penney's bike
Wow! Thanks... Mine will never look that good... at least not with me on it! LOL

Well, I welded up a gas tank from some 4" aluminum tubing, and test fit it.

I used a 1.5" plumbing test plug from the hardware stor as a cap, and it worked perfectly. I kinda like the look of the big wingnut on top.

I still need to take the tank back off, and sand, and paint it, but I couldn't resist the urge to put some gas in it, and fire it up!!

HOLY CRAP that 212 Predator motor RUNS!!! It'll pull the front wheel, and I'm 200lbs. Rode it around the block, :scooter:and nothing fell off.... So that's good :smile:

List of things left to do...

Get the seat uhpolstered.
Fix, or make a new chain guard, and put it on.
Paint the gas tank.

Looking forward to summer!
20170117_175208 (1).jpg

The more I look at it, that 212 motor is just too big. It doesn't look right to me. I plan on rebuilding the little Briggs that was on it before, but in the meantime, I may just pick up the 79cc Predator, and see how that goes.

Any thoughts on this?

Biffmini

To me it's screaming for smaller footprint flathead That 212 is just to big in that frame & takes coolness factor away...
you have it looking clean as a bean.

To me it's screaming for smaller footprint flathead That 212 is just to big in that frame & takes coolness factor away...
you have it looking clean as a bean.
Agreed. From the clutch side, it doesn't look too bad, but the flywheel side just looks "wrong". I'll be fixing this one way or another.

Need to get a rebuild kit for the Briggs, and get it back on STAT!

Thanks for the compliment!

2-1/2 is about all the HP you need on a little frame like that. I put a 3-1/2 on my grandson's Bird, and the first time I rode it, it scared the livin' Schlitz outa me! Those smaller frames get a little squirrely at top end. When I first cracked the throttle, it took off out from underneath me. I knew he couldn't handle it, so I blocked the linkage to only go half throttle.