Fork tube sleeve replacement ideas

Minimichael

Anybody know of any diy ideas, or universal fork tube vendor for outer tree tube ID of 1 inch, and inner fork down tube OD of 7/8"?

I'm thinking vinyl would be the right material, as opposed to acrylic or polycarbonate or carbon fiber. I'd want it to be flanged if possible, and think I could score it along one side. I'm willing to experiment since they seem to be difficult to find.

Open to any advice you all may have.. tanks. PXL_20240424_004503955.jpg

Attachments

Minimichael

making some bushes
I'd been wondering about this, Ole4, because Google searches keep bringing up bronze "bushes" like those flanged ones I see at Menards. There must be bikes out there with them, huh? I already buy and use them for axle spacers and such. Nevertheless, I see two problems here; they're short and they're thick. The long plastic straws I'm replacing are almost ten inches long, and they're only about 1/16" thick. So I'm thinking any bronze bushing wall that's thin enough to fit is undoubtedly going to wear and warp. The only fix there would be to fit a bronze sheath inside the whole length of the tree top tube. ...
And now I'm thinking why not. Even if it's not snug inside the tree I could secure it at the same bolt hole fastening the springer tube inside...

I'll check McMaster ..

Thanks all :D

Cuda54

What about brass shim stock cut it as long and wide as you need then take hose claps and shape it to the tube. That way you get e snug fit as shim stock is all different thickness. And brass will be smooth for it to slide on too. You could grease it if you want to make it last longer.

Minimichael

Give the complete description what is the length and was it split? Does it have a lip. Looking for a description that you could make the part from. Do you know the actual thickness, guessing 1/16 correct?
Keeping in mind their age and condition, I'm rounding as much as 0.007"...
8-7/8" long.
1" OD, 7/8" ID.
Material is approx. 3/64" thick.
Gap is about 1/16" - 5/64" wide.

Attachments

Last edited:

Minimichael

What about brass shim stock cut it as long and wide as you need then take hose claps and shape it to the tube. That way you get e snug fit as shim stock is all different thickness. And brass will be smooth for it to slide on too. You could grease it if you want to make it last longer.
Yes, and it could take the worry out of spending $50 on plastic that may fit too snuggly. I've run into that problem before.

Last edited: