Frame tubing

Hey guy's
What type of tubing are you using to repair/ lengthen/ modify your frames, wall thickness and where can it be purchased.
Getting ready to modify one of my frames, someone at some point cut and removed a two inch section of the back bone. I decided to stretch this frame to make a drag bike with.
Thanks,
Tim

Most of the older bikes were 7/8'' DOM tubing, but some of the newer ones use 1'' DOM tubing....a lot of tube thickness's . I buy my 1'' DOM from my local welding shop. I get the 7/8'' DOM tubing from Ebay.

Thickness anywhere from .065 wall to .120 wall.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, 7/8" seamless DOM (drawn over mandrel) with a .095" wall seems to be the most common. I bought some a while back from onlinemetals.com. Since I was having a hard time locating what I was looking for locally, buying on line had two advantages: I could get small amounts of what I wanted, and it saved me a lot of running around.

Hey guy's,
.Thanks for all the info, I too don't have a good local supply. The closet one is over an hour away and they will not cut to length. I plan on mig and tig welding the frame depending on the application. I did measure the frame that I plan on building first and the od is about 1.120 with paint and corrosion so probably 1.00 tubing under the paint, the wall thickness is .0875 with paint and corrosion.
Thanks again,
Tim

Fomogo,
I didn't measure the id of the tubing, but I will just to see what the dia. is. Do you weld a plug in the tubing on the inside of the tubing for added strength. This is something we do on chrome molly tubing on motorcycle frames where we butt tubing together.

If the I.D. of your tubing is .875 (7/8"), then perhaps using a short piece of 7/8" tubing as a "connecting sleeve" wouldn't be a bad idea. All you'd need is a piece a few inches long. Would hold things in place quite nicely, I think.

Fomogo,
I didn't measure the id of the tubing, but I will just to see what the dia. is. Do you weld a plug in the tubing on the inside of the tubing for added strength. This is something we do on chrome molly tubing on motorcycle frames where we butt tubing together.
Yes I always use a properly sized piece of tubing on the inside to add strength. Sometimes I drill 5/16th's holes in the old tubing and plug weld the inside piece to the outside piece as well as seam weld the joints. Try to plan your measurements so that you will leave a gap about the size of the filler rod or wire that you are using. That way you are sure to get the weld to penetrate all 3 pieces.