front brakes?

I was curious, I ride a full size bike and generally use my front brake more than my back. Has anyone tried to adapt a disc brake system onto a frontend?

I'd guess you could use a rear hub and only put a disc on one side, weld the caliper tab to the forks, run the cable up the forks to the right side.

Am I nutz?

Hey Icarry2, Yes it has been done, but what bike are you working with? Some have stronger forks and neck than others, and are better candidates for front brakes than others. Pics?

It has been previously discussed- many times. Perform a search in the Google Custom Search at the top of this page using the words "Front disc brake"
Michael

It was just a thought, I haven't thought about trying it. Currently my only project is a China made DB30 I found on a Facebook Yard Sale group cheap. This forum and the OldMiniBikes Warehouse have been invaluable with it.

Thanks, I will do some more searching and see about it for the next project.

DB30 is an easy one. all you need is a 2nd rear wheel. already has a brake disc. then its just a matter of caliper bracket welded to your forks.

I've also given thought to adding a front disc brake. I guess it would entail adding another hand brake lever.
I think it would improve the braking and cut down on brake fade.

Not to hijack this thread, but, is running a hydraulic brake system a vast improvement over the mechanical brake?

Beyond anything you could imagine. They are fantastic. If I ever do another DB, that will be the first thing on it.

Doc
Thanks Doc.
I would very much like to improve the braking capability on the bike, especially if I go with the 212cc Predator engine. Going fast is one thing, but being able to stop is important. :scooter:

CarPlayLB

Adapt an existing wheel to your bike. This is a Benelli wheel with a drum brake. Really just added a tab to the forks and spaced it properly. This will throw ya over the forks!

Not to hijack this thread, but, is running a hydraulic brake system a vast improvement over the mechanical brake?
Not mini bike but I just swapped from some higher end mechanical disks to a mid/lower end hydro disks on my bicycle and it was a night and day difference. Actually think I'm gonna have to step down a rotor size now because it can be too much brake.

If you don't want 2 levers they make a dual cable lever for mechanical brakes. As for hydros you can split the line but proportioning might be hard to set up.

Not mini bike but I just swapped from some higher end mechanical disks to a mid/lower end hydro disks on my bicycle and it was a night and day difference. Actually think I'm gonna have to step down a rotor size now because it can be too much brake.

If you don't want 2 levers they make a dual cable lever for mechanical brakes. As for hydros you can split the line but proportioning might be hard to set up.
Neo,
Thanks for the information. I guess I'll keep my options open. I had no idea there was anything like a dual cable brake lever. That would certainly help if I go with a front disc brake.

Guys, thanks for posting pics of your front brake setups. I would imagine the old school front drum brake stops pretty well...and so would a good hydraulic setup. Thanks to you as well, Ole.

Interesting thread so far..

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Allo...624245&sr=8-1&keywords=dual+cable+brake+lever

They are common on BMX style bikes if you want to parts hunt for them but honestly good solid metal ones aren't really expensive. The big box store bikes normally have plastic mounts on theirs and break pretty easy.
Thanks for the link to Amazon. Neo, and the image of what the dual lever looks like.
Again, I never knew these levers existed until now. I've obviously been out of touch. I would consider an all metal lever.
I guess never under estimate bicycle and scooter components. Looks like I'll have to find an extra rear wheel so I can add a front disc...and of course weld a tab on the fork to mount the caliper.

Thanks again for the information and input.
It's much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Jack:smile:

Last edited: