Fun times with new blast cabinet

It was. :thumbsup: I also did a 6" Manco wheel half and a 6" Go Power just for fun while I was at it but I didn't get pics. They both turned out terrific using glass beads.

I thought I read on here before that walnut shells were supposed to be outstanding for the Go Powers.... Anyone else??

gbones

friggin sweet:thumbsup: i love using the blast cabinet at work. ive been thinking about blasting my astro wheels at work some day, this may have been the push i needed:thumbsup:

A blast cabinet of any size is an awesome thing to have in a shop. I have a bench mounted unit and its been priceless. Small parts come out looking new or ready for paint in minutes.
Started out with the black diamond stuff and switched to glass. Have soda for the delicate stuff like motor parts also. Have fun and enjoy it. It makes life alot easier for sure if you have the space and compressor to run it.

A blast cabinet of any size is an awesome thing to have in a shop. I have a bench mounted unit and its been priceless. Small parts come out looking new or ready for paint in minutes.
Started out with the black diamond stuff and switched to glass. Have soda for the delicate stuff like motor parts also. Have fun and enjoy it. It makes life alot easier for sure if you have the space and compressor to run it.
I had a smaller unit form Northern Tool, it sucked so hard!
The viewing area was always clouded up and just too cheap of a solution.

Can folks post up some advice/picts on smaller units/bench-top brands that work well?

I had a smaller unit form Northern Tool, it sucked so hard!
The viewing area was always clouded up and just too cheap of a solution.

Can folks post up some advice/picts on smaller units/bench-top brands that work well?
What has helped me alot with my cheapo HBF unit is to hook up my shop vac to the back tube when im using it. If I dont do that dust becomes an issue and site gets bad. It was like $100 so what do you expect? They make some sweet cabinets....just depends how much you want to spend.

I had the same Harbor Freight unit and the solution was to buy their vacuum and collector it mounted on the wall next to the cabinet and saved the glass in a inside container. The compressor I had was a Eagle single stage 3 cylinder that had 18.5 CFM @ 150 LB . But like everything else I had to let it go to stay on top of things here.
Steve :scooter:

bead blasting

for anyone using a blast cabinet use glass beads for aluminum, especially for engine parts don't exceed 80psi as beads will break defeating their purpose. beads peen and do not score surface. the benefit of this is that in most cases it actual strengthens part and they embed themselves in softer metal like sand can. sand or a sharp abrasive has its advantages for steal or anything to be painted. also if you are going to be using it a lot a sealed cabinet with dust separation and collection system is best but pricey

keep psi at 80 or less with fine or med. fine beads and you'll have no problems. i have found soda if used at to high of pressure can be hard to completely remove especially from cast aluminum