Funky brake set-up

Hi everyone, this is my first build, so please go easy on me if I'm asking stupid questions.

I'm trying to find a rear wheel that can accommodate what seems to be an uncommon brake set-up... the sprocket on one side and a band brake on the opposite side. I don't want to add a jackshaft, I'd like to keep the original setup.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Oh, and I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible. Thoughts/suggestions?

See pics...

I did this same thing recently, here is what I used:

2 x Double Flange Wheel Hub
1 x 6" Split Rim
1 x Sprocket
1 x 4" Band Brake Drum

1 x Tire/Tube of your choice

You need to knock the bolts out of the "flat" end of each hub (opposite the bearing end), then buy new bolts to mount one hub on either side of the split rim. Drum mounts on one side, sprocket on the other.

That being said, I ended up switching it to a disc brake. I just couldn't find a great way to mount a bracket for the band. I used a 6" pocket bike disc brake rotor, drilled it out, and fabbed up a bracket to mount a stock DoodleBug caliper. That worked much better (in my case).

i used to have one that looked just like that except the rear tubes were slanted.

here's how mine looked when i got it (sold it a few months ago as a roller).

your going to need a new band anyway because your pad is missing. Those brakes are really hit and miss anyway so i say you switch to a disk or something rather than try and use that

I have a very similar setup as to what was described above and it works good, just gotta get the adjustment right, all homemade.

Last edited: