Funny smell after riding

Having a funny smell from my clutch/engine after cruising on my baja bug with a 6.5 clone in it. Got the mounting kit from Chris, and installed everything per instructions. The only thing I am concerned about is the part where you line the engine up with the rear tire so "no chain binding occurs". The chain doesn't "bind", as in the wheel locks up, but it sure doesn't spin as well as my motorcycle rear tire does (1200 bandit) when the rear tire is spun off the ground. The chain slack is about 1/2"-3/4", which is where it should be. And the bike idles fine without engaging the clutch. How well should the tire spin when it is lined up correctly? Should it be spinning freely like a bike tire does?? I'm sure there is a certain amount of friction involved where it won't spin like a bike tire.... I can upload a video on you tube of my wheel spinning with the chain on if that would help diagnose my "problem"....

I tried moving the engine around to get it to spin perfectly free and it seemed impossible. I also am going to mod or remove the chain guard, and it looks like the chain is slapping against it a bit. The marks on the chain guard show the chain is not moving straight with the chain guard, but when looking down the chain, it looks "relatively" straight....

Thanks!

well new parts do :censure:stink . if your running a new motor and clutch your burning off the packing grease and oil its shipped in . as for the spinning tire mini bike tires dont spin all that free if it turns nice and easy with no tight spots and the chain dont seem to be binding you should be good there .
i would not worry where the chain is to the guard as long as its not hitting the guard . just have the chain as strait as can be from the block to the rear gear. and the guard set to clear the chain and sprockets/clutch .

Seems like the chain could be binding, and the tensioner needs to be loose enough to lift the chain up slightly at rest. Check everything including the wheel bearings.:thumbsup:

...seems like it does spin easier at certain points than at others....
I don't think they get the sprokets lined up quite right from the factory. My 2 db 30's and my manco go kart are the same way. Tighten the chain when it's at the tightest spot when you spin the wheel, not the loosest spot or the chain will strech.

it dont seem bad ,but i have never had a baja . my arctic cat wheel never really spun all that free once every thing was put on .
one thing to remember is the smaller the tire the faster it looses it momentum . so your motor cycle tire has more spin over the little mini tire .
you could check the bearings by pulling the chain and see if it spins better then check the clutch to see how it spins .if they both are free and spin nice ,oil the chain put it back on and check again . it could be a small tight spot in your chain . how old is the chain ? a new one is kinda stiff and will stop a tire kinda fast where a older looser one will slow it much less . could also be the bearing in the wheel there is a few complaints that the bearings are junk . there is posts on changing them to a better bearing and what numbers they are.

Oldsalt

The smell? I would tend to believe a clutch bushing burning out caused that. It is not common knowledge that the brass bushing need frequent oiling especially if there is a lot of stop and starts taking place.

The smell? I would tend to believe a clutch bushing burning out caused that. It is not common knowledge that the brass bushing need frequent oiling especially if there is a lot of stop and starts taking place.
what visc lube do you use? Where do you put it exactly, inside sprocket area, and/or outside of clutch by washer and end bolt? Don't want to get it in the bell of the clutch or it will slip I assume!

Oldsalt

If the clutch is on the engine shaft with the sprocket on the outside you will see a snap ring that retains the bell/sprocket part. Oil the area right behind the 'snap ring'. Harder to see if the clutch is on the engine shaft with the sprocket toward the engine. There is little chance that the oil, even too much and too often, will get in the area of the bell and make the clutch slip excessively. Those clutches will last a long time if the bushing is kept oiled. Invariably the clutch material never wears out before the brass bushing. Going for a long ride? Best to carry some motor oil.

I took a look at that clutch dis assembly, do you need to take the clutch off every 5 hours and oil it, or can you just do it while it is on the bike? I have some of that turbine lube for bearings and bushings with the long extendable tube that pulls out of the bottle and squirted it all over the drive gear and on the bushing I assume.
Thanks this forum has been a big help!

unless you cant reach the bushing you should be fine just oiling it on the bike .
not sure of that turbine lube on a clutch tho . never had any and no idea how it would work on a clutch . max torque says just plain cheap 30 wt oil works best .
the tear down and clean is not some thing you have to do much of unless you really ride in a lot of dust and sand . then you would want to clean it from time to time to keep the grit out of the clutch

oldfatguy

I had that with my bonanza because the clutch was over heating from slipping a bit from driving too slow around the yard. The clutch actually started smoking because it got so hot. It was mostly because of the rider and how the bike was being used. The smell was from the oil being burned off

Clutches do not work right unless they are locked up.

The more they get hot the more they slip.

If you are driving in such a way that you can't lock up your clutch you need to look at your gearing. Constantly running this way is trouble.

A slipping clutch on a steap hill will not last long.

As for funny smells.
I have shart a few times. Don't trust a fart.....