Gas Tank Welding???

Well last week I lost a rubber cork I made for my tank . I now want to weld the whole shut. Should I fill the tank with water or wait a long time till no more fumes ??? Any help is appreciated.

zeeman

I have soldered small holes in rusty tanks before, but welding, that would be much more dangerous to me. I've heard of people welding holes in car gas tanks with the gas still in them, but I would not do that. It seems the fumes/vapor would be more flammable. Could you patch it with a gas resistant epoxy? Not sure of the brand names, but I know there is some stuff out there. Be careful.

Blow it out with compressed air for five minutes. You'll be fine.[famous last words] Small tanks don't need much air flow to clean out the fumes.

i have done some welding on gas tanks before . is the tank rusted inside ? or just have a hole in it ? if you weld on a tank you will burn off the coating inside it and it will need to be recoated or it will rust up in no time flat . if its just a hole then solder it shut less chance of burning off the plating they put in tanks . but its up to you how you fix it .
as for the flame on the tank i dont think that 5 mins of air flow is enough to clear it . what i do is drain out every drop you can get .then reach in with rages and wipe out the little bit you cant pour out . let it sit in the sun and get warm with the cap off for at least a few hours . if you cant smell gas in it then stand back and toss in a match as a last check for fumes . if no boom start work on it . just remember be careful tanks can hurt like hell if they go pop .

Damn fumes . Well the hole was from a old fuel gauge that started to leak . I had plugged it with a rubber cork but it chucked it on Saturday.
Hole is a inch and a half so tank sealer won't work . I'm sure it would come loose . I'm thinking of still welding it but putting the sealer on the inside of the welded part to keep it from rusting. What do you guys think . Thanks Metal M the coating didn't even come to mind.

Damn fumes . Well the hole was from a old fuel gauge that started to leak . I had plugged it with a rubber cork but it chucked it on Saturday.
Hole is a inch and a half so tank sealer won't work . I'm sure it would come loose . I'm thinking of still welding it but putting the sealer on the inside of the welded part to keep it from rusting. What do you guys think . Thanks Metal M the coating didn't even come to mind.
You should seal the whole tank, not just try to seal the welded part !

You should seal the whole tank, not just try to seal the welded part !
Hmmmm. So is the sealer real thick like silicone or like honey. It's gona be a mission getting it on the top inside the tank . I can't fit anything to big down the fill hole either. How do I do it ED?
Welding I could do no prob. Sealing it got me stumped now.

toomanytoys

We used to weld on tractor trailer tanks. We would drop dry ice inside if them to replace the fumes and 02 inside with the c02 from the dry ice breaking down

Neck

Growing up is optional
OK....what I did to fill the gas gauge hole on my clone tank was get a brass freeze plug that you find at any decent auto parts store and sand the outside edge so it just fits the hole and then epoxy it in the hole. If you want, you could evacuate the fumes using compressed air as stated above, and drop some dry ice in there and then solder it in place, just make sure you get all the paint off the tank and use acid core solder.

So I fixed it. Hope it lasts. So I didn't weld it or seal the whole tank. What I did was get two washers with a nut and bolt . I put one washer on the inside with a lock nut. While I held it there on the inside I put sealer on the outside filling the hole . I then put the top washer and bolted it all together. So in between the washers is a bunch of sealer . Water doesn't leak thru it. Hope this works . :thumbsup:

KB2ROCKET

disclaimer:I dont suggest you do this I am only sharing my experience if you do this you do it at your own risk

I used to weld gas tanks all the time I would empty them then fill them with water from a hose and let it overflow for a few hours then drain it
the first thing I would do is shoot the flame down the filler neck and even after hours of running water through it it would still ignite (WHOOFF!) then it was ok to weld I would only do this with small tanks like the ones mounted to small engines
once again if you are dumb enough to do what I do you are doing it at your own risk:eek:ut:

disclaimer:I dont suggest you do this I am only sharing my experience if you do this you do it at your own risk

I used to weld gas tanks all the time I would empty them then fill them with water from a hose and let it overflow for a few hours then drain it
the first thing I would do is shoot the flame down the filler neck and even after hours of running water through it it would still ignite (WHOOFF!) then it was ok to weld I would only do this with small tanks like the ones mounted to small engines
once again if you are dumb enough to do what I do you are doing it at your own risk:eek:ut:
It's been fixed . No need for the welding anymore. Thanks :thumbsup: