Gearing???

Hi There,

We just acquired a weekend or so back, what we believe to be a Vintage Manco MiniBike with a bit of clutch issues..

We really want to be able to cross the field out back, or even play in the trails a bit, so we were wondering if anyone knew what size Sprocket we should run on the rear, and how many teeth to run on the clutch??

Were not real concerned with speed, we just want a bit more torque..

Any help would be Greatly Appreciated!!

T.J.

Thanks for the Reply!!

Hi Guys,
And Thanks a ton for the Reply!!

It looks like our little "Mini-Monster" is running 3.50 x 10 Tires on both the front and Rear..

We are also running a 10 Tooth Clutch, and a 54 Tooth Sprocket on the Rear..

We believe that the kicker is a five horse, but all of the tags have been removed.. The serial number goes somethin' like this..

100202 0359-01 6611117

Hey, we'll send a couple of pics over this way in a bit..

Hope this Helps a Bit,

T.J.

Yep,

She's seems a bit tired..

Were really thinkin' that the clutch is just totally worn down.. You really have to push away, and rev on her to get going.. Hill Climbing is just not there, but the top speed is OK..

Somethin' is also making a bit of a grinding noise, maybe it's the clutch?? The grind is really there when you put a load on her..

Thanks,

T.J.

The clutch may be an issue on this one..

How would we go about verifying that this is a problem??

Taking off takes a lot of revving, and you have to kick a bit to take off.. That's what originally pointed us in the clutches direction..

Were not really lookin' to sink a lot of money into her, but does anyone know where to find a good, but reasonable clutch??

Thanks,

T.J.

delray

hey TAS-Motorsports, i think your engine is a 4hp. take a look at this briggs chart.
http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/snowengines.html
your rear sprocket is way to small for that tire size. if that is a 35# chain you are using for example? you need to install a 80tt-84tt sprocket. this will allow the bike to have better lowend power and allow the clutch to lock up better.
here is a picture of my scat with a 4hp tecumseh motor. i don't have a picture of the other side. the sprocket is about the size of the rim and this bike can pull me up small hills(my #170).

i found another picture of a scat from another web sit and you can see the size of it.

if your engine had the four bolts holes on the side cover you could buy a tav-2 and bolt it up. then your bike would just fly up a hill with that small sprocket
:scooter:..............:thumbsup:

It sounds like he's running a 40/41 with a 10 tooth on the clutch. They don't sell 10 tooth 35s do they? With a 5hp that gearing is not too bad for all around use. 5.40:1 I have a 5.5hp with 5.50:1 and it has plenty of power. I thought that looked like a 4hp # I'd say at least 60 -72 teeth on a 4hp to get decent power, if it's a 40/41 chain.

delray

yes jimh, it looks like he may have a 40/41 chain. i just use the 35#chain as a example for size sprocket. my scat -cat has a 40/41 chain and i beleive the rear sprocket is 90tt? will have to count it? 4hp is a border engine for climbing hills with a clutch set-up.

delray

couple things he could do to the engine is,run it with out a gov and build a header pipe exhaust and get little more extra power.
:scooter:..............:thumbsup:

That 90 is giving you 7.50:1. That should pull you around. To me a H35 or HS35 has more bottom end and pulling power than the 4hp Briggs, and I'm a Briggs fan.
Starting to wonder why,though.

Last edited: