Give me a break!!!

Been through it a bit of late, on 5/4 I had my left hip replaced. Not a big deal really especially since I have already had both knees replaced and knew the routine. On Fathers Day 6/19, I was moving a new couch into our living room. It was still in the box which I was sliding on the carpet. On the final tug, I reached into a hole on top of the box for a grip and gave it a yank. Well the box ripped and I went sailing. I landed on my left hip. I immediately knew I was screwed. Told my wife to call 911 and stayed motionless on the floor. It took about an hour for emts and fire to show up with enough people to move me. While under some pain meds and ketamine, they hauled me out the second floor, down steps and uneven ground and finally to the ambulance. I have never, ever felt that level of pain and was literally screaming my head off. After getting bounced around on the xray table, I was diagnosed with a sever displaced spiral fracture in my left femur that ran from just above the hip implant to just above the knee (about 18"). They operated on Monday 6/20 and I am writing this from a hospital bed. No weight for 4-6 weeks and for 4-6 months recovery. They had to pull muscle out of the cracks in the femur and pulled the bone back together with 2 cables. Then they placed a very long concaved bar along the outside of the bone and put a shitload of screws in to hold it.
I will turn 71 in September and I now know I am too old for all this shit. So I am going to drastically reduce my collection and just work on a very, very few projects. I have been in contact with a few members for advice but you all can look at my albums to get a feel and in the meantime I will be trying to figure out how to go about this. Hope I haven't bored you too much but I sure hope no one has to go through that kind of pain in their lifetime.

Fred

Hounddog

Very sorry to hear that Fred. I have broken many bones in my life, but all when I was young. I cannot imagine how you are feeling now. I wish you the very best. Go slow, work hard and recover well. You still have many more years to enjoy. We look forward to seeing you restore more of your treasures....All the best, Bryon

Holy shit….sorry dude…joint replacement sucks…I did it…still wondering why the hell anyone would do that….rather have the arthritic pain…hope you heal fast and let the young guys move that heavy shit….

novadose74

Been through it a bit of late, on 5/4 I had my left hip replaced. Not a big deal really especially since I have already had both knees replaced and knew the routine. On Fathers Day 6/19, I was moving a new couch into our living room. It was still in the box which I was sliding on the carpet. On the final tug, I reached into a hole on top of the box for a grip and gave it a yank. Well the box ripped and I went sailing. I landed on my left hip. I immediately knew I was screwed. Told my wife to call 911 and stayed motionless on the floor. It took about an hour for emts and fire to show up with enough people to move me. While under some pain meds and ketamine, they hauled me out the second floor, down steps and uneven ground and finally to the ambulance. I have never, ever felt that level of pain and was literally screaming my head off. After getting bounced around on the xray table, I was diagnosed with a sever displaced spiral fracture in my left femur that ran from just above the hip implant to just above the knee (about 18"). They operated on Monday 6/20 and I am writing this from a hospital bed. No weight for 4-6 weeks and for 4-6 months recovery. They had to pull muscle out of the cracks in the femur and pulled the bone back together with 2 cables. Then they placed a very long concaved bar along the outside of the bone and put a shitload of screws in to hold it.
I will turn 71 in September and I now know I am too old for all this shit. So I am going to drastically reduce my collection and just work on a very, very few projects. I have been in contact with a few members for advice but you all can look at my albums to get a feel and in the meantime I will be trying to figure out how to go about this. Hope I haven't bored you too much but I sure hope no one has to go through that kind of pain in their lifetime.

Fred
Hi, sorry to hear, I’m a physical therapist, so I know what you’re in for. Just make sure you get some home physical therapy, then go to out patient physical therapy. You will need it to regain your strength and range of motion. take care.

toomanytoys

Hoping for a speedy recovery!

my great aunt had her knee replaced several years ago. She fell and actually blew her replacement out. They had to cut it out. Put in a spacer and let things heal. Then do a new knee replacement. She was down for 18 months.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery! I've been through some knee stuff the last two months. I'm 49 and 1/3 lol. They cannot provide me with enough certainty that surgery will fix the issue (missing cartilage). The damage is what they consider a "pothole" in the worst possible place (if that's Pennsylvania road terms I'm screwed...) I wasn't about to undergo surgery with a 50/50 chance of relief and 4 month recovery until absolutely necessary!