Good Chain Breaker?

mnibike

Ok I need to know of a good chain breaker to purchase. One that will get the job done. Well I purchased a chain breaker not knowing it was a piece of $h1T. It completely bent the link and didn't even get close to popping the pin out. It looked like this.

My chain is #41 size.

i have one of these and it's pretty kick ass. i like it because it holds the chain in place. it can also be used for re-installing the pin.

Mac

I purchased one of the Ruttman chain breakers like eBay item number: 120328332175
I read the glowing feedback buyers had left on this style.
The first time I used it the pushing pin bent....I never bothered to leave feedback.

I bought an Azusa Engineering chain breaker(Blue one) which kept allowing the link to twist, and bent each new pushing pin that Azusa gives as spares. Turned out the cradle you rest the link in to position it for the pushing pin of the tool was too large a diameter allowing the link to lean. I later found a chain breaker of the same design, but a smaller cradle which now holds it all straight and it works fine.

Most of my friends use the style in the first post here, and after they hit the end of the link with a grinder they get good results from the tool.....ha.

I have the one like in the first post but it is American made by one of the chain company's. I have used this type for 35 years. The one that BMI sells looks real nice and I still have to order one, the feature of being able to refit the side plate and not using a master link may be an advantage.
Steve :scooter:

if you only deal with 35 chain (like me) or 41 get one like i posted.

i bought other ones and they sucked. it's fun spending $15 + shipping just to have a tool break the first time you use it.

you can also buy replacement parts for the bmikarts ones in case you hahahaha something up.

Last edited:
i hit the top of the link with a grinder and drive it through with a nail. works like a charm! and i have never used a chain breaker!

i just broke some all the guides out of a cheap bicycle chain breaker so i can push the pin out of a num 35 chain, then use channel locks to get er back in enuff to screw it in. sumtimes I tap it with the flat side of a body hammer to get it in so it isnt stiff, it worls but a real chain breaker for 35 chain would be better