good deal on a tec 8 HP

Doc1976

Think I got a pretty good deal on a Tec 8 horse. brand new never run 2007 model i think. Also in the deal was a comet torque converter setup, also brand new. gave 250 for the package. So Its home is going to be a early 60's tule trooper. Couple questions on the motor though. I'm hoping to add an alternator for it as well as electric start. A little research leads me to believe these motors were available with both those options, although this one does not have either. So I am hoping for OEM bolt on parts. My plan is to make the tule street legal with lights and signals and maybe a horn. All lights will be LED of course because I doubt the alternators produce too much current. are my plans possible? any suggestions or specifics on parts will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Search the model numbers on parts tree. They show all the optional parts with it. That's what I did last night with my nos HM100 last night. Although mine already has the lighting coil and electric start on it. But it helped me find the Nelson muffler.

Last edited:

Doc1976

I looked at a few sites and the starter and alternator are pictured, but no P/N on the list. I need the spec. number for a model that has those parts installed factory

Last edited:
Most likely the flywheel on yours does not have a ring gear for the starter. The flywheel shroud is starter friendly but I would bet there is no ring gear. I just finished putting a Tec 8 on a VT8-12 for my son and the old engine was starter/generator friendly but to my disappointment, the newer motor lacked the ring gear and the generator. That being said he was not going to use the lights and such so it turned out alright. Once I get some pics uploaded I am going to start a new thread.

Fred

Doc1976

I just picked it up, and need to finish a few projects in the shop before I do much with this, but I may pull the shroud and see if there is a ring gear or not. I may need to start shopping ebay for some parts

I've seen blocks that were not drilled and tapped for starter mounting. Pics don't have that angle.
You can bend the cover to see if there's a ring gear.

Doc1976

I've seen blocks that were not drilled and tapped for starter mounting. Pics don't have that angle.
You can bend the cover to see if there's a ring gear.
yeah the block is tapped for the starter mounting, but there is no ring gear on the flywheel. anyone know what model #'s have electric start and alternator? I found an LH318SA that lists a P/N for the flywheel with ring gear, but still having trouble with the starter and alternator.

Doc1976

Im also a little confused about the model numbers. I understand that tec made small medium and large frame motors with some overlapping HP ratings. which one is my model? also when searching parts most everyone refers to the engines by hs or h model prefix mine is LH what does that stand for and what H or HS or HM model is mine similar to.

just trying to learn as much as possible before I buy parts and start work on it.

Doc1976

so after a little more research, I have come up with a little more info. Tec P/N 611271 is for the 3/5 split alternator, 3 amp DC and 5 amp AC. Supposedly the two power wires coming out of the alt can be joined, offering somewhere around 6 amps. this alternator will require flywheel P/N 611094 which has 5 magnets on the interior side of the wheel. I believe with a rectifier and regulator, this will be the best way to go for what I want to do which is running lights and maintain battery. the downside is at least the flywheel is obsolete, so it will have to be found used. The alt. seems to be easily found on ebay. im still working on the starter P/N.

Im also a little confused about the model numbers. I understand that tec made small medium and large frame motors with some overlapping HP ratings. which one is my model? also when searching parts most everyone refers to the engines by hs or h model prefix mine is LH what does that stand for and what H or HS or HM model is mine similar to.

just trying to learn as much as possible before I buy parts and start work on it.
L-head/flattie
Horizontal shaft
318cc
The old HM80, renamed

chrisr

You would want something like this for a newer HM80 and both work for lights, but neither link would work for charging a battery since the output on these are AC (12v lights don't care if its AC or DC). For charging a battery, you would want a regulated DC setup otherwise the battery will not live long.

The top link is 18w works ok, but at idle the lights may be dim, whereas the bottom link the lights stay bright at idle. I have both of these stator/alternators installed on different bikes and just depends on how much you want to spend and how many lights and types of lights you want to run.

good
Tecumseh HMSK80 Electric Starter Flywheel 611093 teeth 611111 18w alternator kit | eBay

Better
Tecumseh 611093 3 Magnet Flywheel & Alternator Coil For Lights or Heated Grips | eBay

Doc1976

You would want something like this for a newer HM80 and both work for lights, but neither link would work for charging a battery since the output on these are AC (12v lights don't care if its AC or DC). For charging a battery, you would want a regulated DC setup otherwise the battery will not live long.

The top link is 18w works ok, but at idle the lights may be dim, whereas the bottom link the lights stay bright at idle. I have both of these stator/alternators installed on different bikes and just depends on how much you want to spend and how many lights and types of lights you want to run.

good
Tecumseh HMSK80 Electric Starter Flywheel 611093 teeth 611111 18w alternator kit | eBay

Better
Tecumseh 611093 3 Magnet Flywheel & Alternator Coil For Lights or Heated Grips | eBay
this is what I was thinking about going with

Ariens, John Deere, Troy Bilt, Tecumseh HMSK80 HMSK100, electric start flywheel | eBay

Ariens, John Deere, Troy Bilt, Tecumseh HMSK80 HMSK100, 15amp charging stator | eBay

Of course a regulator and rectifier will be needed as far as I can tell, and with the other electronics for lights and signals it should do the trick.