got a runner here, now what is it?

I picked this little guy up inside the trunk of a car I just bought. It has Fox stickers all over it and a 5hp Briggs. It runs great aside from the missing throttle linkage at the engine. Was going to restore it and give it to the father in law as a Christmas present this year.

I haven't seen anything quite like it in the Fox pictures on this site to date. Any help would be appreciated.

I think you have a old wards minibike. Those fox decals are available from a motocross supplier that makes grips clothes and other items. Here's a picture of one i sold a while back. Yours looks similar but with the 10 inch wheels.

If the engine plate is offset to the right, with a gap between the frame rail and plate, I agree it's a Wards bike. They were made by Central State Tool And Die. It could be a model sold somewhere besides Wards.The chainguard mounts and forks match. That one has some extra large rear wheel mounts though. If you do a search on here for Wards and Central States Tool and Die, you'll find other posts. Other than the larger rear mounts, they look the same, assuming the engine plate is offset. Duh, just noticed the spoked wheels. That might explain the bigger mounts.Here's a thread with the smaller model. http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/5717-nuther-wards-build.html?highlight=wards+build

Last edited:
this one has 1 chain drive from the motor to the wheel. no jack shaft between. The wards bike is close on the front end but that's it. There is no gap between the frame and engine plate. Here is another pic of the now blasted frame.

oh yeah it's upside down but it might help

Kill switch plate and neck gussets match too. Rear chain guard mount is the same. Your chainguard should be on the outside of the mount. Those big rear mounts look booger welded in the blasted pic.

the chain guard is mounted on the outside. All of the welds look horrible but are intact. Is there any other odd item I could relay that would help nail this thing completly to the floor? Most of the Wards bikes posted on this forum look like they have an intermediate drive shaft which this one does not. Now I'm just courious. Could it simply be a home brew?

The bike is now a nice candy apple red though!