Gote Tote Help Please!

Hello

I have a gite tote, no clue what year or which model. It ran great for a while then motor crapped. I am wanting to replace the engine. The bike had the torque converter pully clutch on it. The old engine had a 1" shaft on a briggs and stratton. I am thinking about this engine. 6.5 HP Horizontal Shaft Overhead Valve Gas Engine

Can not beat the price and it is used alot of the doodle bug. The problem is the shaft is only 3/4" not one inch for the clutch I have.

Any thoughts on where to get a correct clutch for this engine, or would it be more realistic to get a engine with a 1" shaft? Would really like to get the ol' girl going again. I also thought about trying to just make it clutch and sprocket drive like a typical goat cart, mini bike?

I can add some pics if needed.

Thanks
George

Check your clearances before you buy the clone 6.5 motor. Many tote gotes don't have enough room for the overhead valve motors. The jackshaft is in the way for some models so you would have to move the motor forward to get clearance. I would take a real close look at your original motor. Many of the old motors can be fixed for less than the cost of a clone motor. This will maintain the value of your machine. The hardest part to find to restore an old tote gote is the clutch.

I would repair it, but It is to old, it is from the 60's. It is just worn out, armature/coil does not work either. I can not find parts. I want a fresh new motor for her. I will have to look agai to see if there is enough room. I have no idea. I just want to get her going again. I did see a 3/4" to 1" shaft adaptor. If the motor would fit, I think I could use the adaptor to use the pulley clutch I have now.

I spent most of this winter looking for parts for the old 60's briggs motors that the tote gotes had originally. I have noticed the old motors seem to have better casting quality than the new ones. I have been able to find the parts I need, it just takes a little looking. I have seen people put the overhead valve motors in a tote gote but they have had to modify the frame to do it. Some frames have enough room for the overhead valve motor. What model do you have? Could you post a picture?. I would be glad to help you find parts.

Don't screw up a tote gote keep the old flathead and put it on it. 60's isn't that old. Most guys here put motor's from the sixities on there mini bikes. At worst you'll have to buy a 60 dollar rebuld kit from OldMiniBikes warehouse for the engine.

Well, like I said the motor is in bad shape. clutch is off it, fly wheel is off it, armature/magneto does not work. Fly wheel shaft is banged up.

I do not care what type of motor I put on it as long as it works.

I did get this for info off the name plate.

It says Bonham

Model # 600
Serial # 2342

I will also post some pics.

Would like to just buy another 1" dia. shaft motor, put my pulley clutch on and be good to go.

Pics coming.

Thanks
George

Last edited:
You should be able to find another Briggs and Stratton big block for 100 dollars if you look..
But theres nothing wrong with your engine that can't be fixed pretty easily..

Those engines will just about run forever and I'm sure setting the valve clearances and spark would have it running good again.. You can get an electronic ignition coil which means no points, great spark.. But you probably just have to clean the points up to have good spark..

I have all kinds of parts for those engines, engines and all.. They are not hard to find or parts for..

I just got a 1963 Briggs and Stratton 4 horse running like a TOP like BRAND new... that was missing a carb and tank and looked like TOTAL hell when I bought it from the scrapyard.. :drool: I found the parts I need to make it complete correct for the year and stuff (63 4 horse horizontal single shaft)

Tore the covers off from it, head off from it, checked my valves and bore out.. Gave the vavles a quick lap job, set the clearance on the intake valve because it wasn't QUITE rite...

Cleaned the block and head up with a file, bolted it all together, set the governor, threw a new diaphragm in it, cleaned the little area around that, threw some gas and oil in it.. Started up and ran awesome.. :bowdown:

1963 briggs found at the scrapyard.. No noises clicks ticks, no smoke, runs great.. :shrug:

I'm sure your engine would be fine with a few hours and maybe a couple parts... Bring it by, 25 bucks I'll have it running strong.. :laugh:

If ya do buy a new motor make damn sure to save the original motor for the bike..

after looking at the pictures of the bike I %100 guarantee you, you do not need any parts to make your engine run like new.. :mellow:

Spark plug, oil, can of carb cleaner maybe.. a tiny piece of sand paper... tube of sillycone.. small bench grinder or file or something.. :hammer:

Well I would gladly let some one fix the motor. I can nto find parts for the motor. I have looked and looked, I went to the briggs and stratton site, I even called them. The engine has no spark, at all. The armature coil is junk, points and condenser probably bad. The motor is in parts also. No one can nail down the motor or parts for it. In the middle of Maine there are no options, no engine repair places, no nothing. That is why I would like to just drop another power plant in her and be done with it.

So everyone says motor can be fixed, and yes it may be able to but I have no place to take it, nor the parts to fix it my self. Any one of the forum have a motor they know would work that they would want to trade for this one, and money?

Thank you all very much.
George

In Maine... Yeah we'll find ya something.. :laugh: Hell I'll do a deal with ya if need be but shipping from Michigan is a bitch on a lardass motor.. :lol:

If the coil has not had the spark plug wire chewed off by rats making nests in the engine (happens a lot) The coil is fine.. It's the points.. :thumbsup:

Can we still have pics of the engine?? :laugh: What are the numbers from the shroud? Is it the 14CC engine?? Is that why theres no parts available? Hell I have a whole engine that runs, but no particularly looking to sell it.. :laugh:

What is your city or Craigslist area you would look through??

The coil did not have the spark plug wire chewed off it but some of the copper winding wires have come off.

I can take pics of the motor tomorrow after work, and get the numbers off it.

I will continue to look around, and see what I can do. Thanks everyone.

I would see about that 30 dollar 7 horse.. Sounds like a carb cleaning and have it going.. Cheap as hell, and a lot of your (original parts) will probably bolt rite on and look about rite..

The model 600 came with a briggs 6 horse.They are getting scarce,but the parts are easy to find.I went to my local lawn mower place and they fixed me right up.If you put another motor on it you will devalue a very collectable machine,in my opinon.If it is the original motor,there will be a tag on the oppisite side of the flywheel.Mine is ,model 142302 type 502099,serial 278899.:thumbsup:You will be better off finding someone that can help fix that motor.Hope the numbers help you out.

Cool It is original.If you have a lawn mower shop,take that tag in there and tell em what you need.Dont lose that tag.Put it back on the engine and you will always have it.
And by the way.

Welcome to the site:scooter:

I forgot.If you go to the brigge parts site again you will need to enter the model and type numbers for any parts search.

Last edited:
The model 600 will not work with a overhead valve motor without a lot of modifications. The original 6hp briggs had an embossed (raised letter) blower housing that is very cool looking. It also had the cast recoil spring housing which is more durable than the later models. Most parts are the same as the 7hp and 8hp models. Points, condenser and coil are all the same. Carbs are the same and kits are available. This 14 cu inch motor was first listed as a 5 3/4hp on the first tote gotes. Later it was rated at 6hp. The 7hp was 17 cu inch and a 3" bore. The 8hp was used on the last tote gotes, 19 cu inch had a longer stroke and 3" bore.