Greyhound 196 backfire

Have a greyhound 196 motor on a mini bike. It will not start. Has fire and fuel. Cleaned plug, changed gas, cleaned carb bowel.
It backfires as if out of time. Won't attempt to run. Any ideas or is out of time? Appreciate any help.

trinik7597

Yeah your valve lash is off .. its chronic with that motor .. but just to make sure hit it with some starting fluid if it pops your jet is clogged .. if not your valve lash is out and you will have to adjust it

I did do the header and carb and breather. The governor is still hooked up and haven't changed the flywheel or cam. Basically stock with add ons

yes to keep up with the header and breather. It was running but and basically wouldn't start. Would back fire, but no attempt to roll over. Checked plug for fire and it was damp (and firing). Did drain carb bowel but didn't take it apart. Out of carb cleaner. Figure Monday try clean carb, then look at valves. Last look at fly wheel key. Had grandkids and parents all week and they were riding it a lot. Appreciate the in put.

I replaced the carb with a bigger jet, can't remember the size but was for the motor set up with the bolt ons I had. It's worked fine for several years till the last few months its got harder to start, then won't start. Did try starter fluid and it won't kick at all. Figure valve back lash or flywheel key failed.

Trinik7597- I checked the valves they were a little loose, tightened to specs. Still wouldn't fire. I checked the flywheel key it looked good, cleaned carb just be sure and still the same. Is there anything else?

I'll try that today or next day live a bit out town, so don't make in everyday. Also noticed a bit of a split on fuel line at the hose connection, not leaking but wondering if its drawing air. When get the plug may do line also. Anyway thanks for time. Have a good day.

I replaced the fuel line, it had a crack above the clamp. Put new fuel line and its running normal. Afterward replaced plug, so all should be good a while.