GX160 build

Valocalrep

Ok so first of all i want to apologize to anyone for the stupid amount of questions ill end up asking during this process. This is the first engine i have broken all the way down and built back up. IF i can get it to start ill be very proud of myself. And i want to say thanks to jdblood202 for being in the area and helping me out. So yesterday i got this GX160. I didn't take any prior pictures (sorry) before we started taking her apart. She had NO compression but spark was there. So JB helped me take it apart step by step and look everything over. Lets say it wasn't very pretty but it wasn't near as bad as i expected. This is how it looks at the current moment

Slowly soaking with some degreaser, The block and head will get pressure washed tomorrow morning so i can start fresh. Cam was fine, Rod was fine, Piston and rings no so pretty. But the valves ill let the pro's make their suggestion

I already ordered a new gasket set and a new stock carb. But here is my first set of questions. This is what the cylinder bore looks like at the current moment. Ill take new pictures tomorrow once it is all washed but im trying to keep the engine close to or all the way stock. What should i do about the cylinder walls.

Like i said this if a first for me so ill be trying to learn as much as i can. Thanks everyone

trinik7597

I would not recommend pressure washing it ..clean the chamber with carb Cleaner and a scotch brite . pull the valves and clean those and the ports too .you have a 18cc head so that means you had a flat top piston . hit the cyl with carb cleaner and a paper towel . let us see what it looks like clean

Valocalrep

Hey Trinink i was mainly wanting to pressure wash the outside it looks horrible and has mud and grime all caked up in the fins and tight spots would that be a issue?

Valocalrep

i couldn't really feel much but i was rushing before i had to go to work, so tomorrow morning ill actually be able to check it deep. There was a little sand in the cylinder but i didnt feel scoring or pitting

Valocalrep

Its just stock open from where i dropped it back in i plan to pull them out tonight and soak them in some Purple stuff and see how they clean out before i decide to order new ones

Look first think is pressure washing is not gonna hurt the block at all , it needs to be squeaky clean . I wash mine out with carb cleaner and then bring it in the house and put it in the sink and wash it in hot really soapy water . Then blow it dry with air and then wipe out the inside with a lint free white rag and clean oil till it comes out clean .

The valves , pull the head apart take the valves and clean them and then you need a wire wheel on a grinder and finish cleaning them .
The cyclinder looks fine clean it like said and run a hone down it and she'll be fine , it's a Honda you can't hurt them .

Are you putting it back stock ? If so put some 1.3 ratio rockers in it for cheap and 18 pound springs and go . The stock flywheel will be fine for turning Up to 6 or so . Honda flywheels are pretty damn stout you can't compare them to a clone wheel .
The Honda rod if you know how to clearance it a little then it would be alright . But I would still rather see a billet one in there .

Oh one thing my wash method is for right before you assemble the motor after honing .
So after the P washing and degreaseing wipe the cylinder down with oil that the only part that could rust and it will quickly after cleaning so oil it right after .

Look first think is pressure washing is not gonna hurt the block at all , it needs to be squeaky clean . I wash mine out with carb cleaner and then bring it in the house and put it in the sink and wash it in hot really soapy water . Then blow it dry with air and then wipe out the inside with a lint free white rag and clean oil till it comes out clean .

The valves , pull the head apart take the valves and clean them and then you need a wire wheel on a grinder and finish cleaning them .
The cyclinder looks fine clean it like said and run a hone down it and she'll be fine , it's a Honda you can't hurt them .

Are you putting it back stock ? If so put some 1.3 ratio rockers in it for cheap and 18 pound springs and go . The stock flywheel will be fine for turning Up to 6 or so . Honda flywheels are pretty damn stout you can't compare them to a clone wheel .
The Honda rod if you know how to clearance it a little then it would be alright . But I would still rather see a billet one in there .
Yes i plan to put it back to stock for this one. I have a 2nd one that needs work as well but i have to prove to myself i can make a non running engine run so im doing this one basic so i can use it as a learning experience and part money for the next one

Twid

Oh one thing my wash method is for right before you assemble the motor after honing .
So after the P washing and degreaseing wipe the cylinder down with oil that the only part that could rust and it will quickly after cleaning so oil it right after .
Instead of oil I use transmission fluid because of the detergent. I learned that from a couple of old timers when I worked at a Harley shop in high school.

Thanks guys ill be attacking it tomorrow morning before i have to get ready for work so ill get a few before and after pictures and post them. I know ill end up having more questions before its all done. :thumbsup: Ps Thanks Trinik OND DAVID and TWID, i havent seen much activity on the site lately and it had me worried i might not be actually able to get the answer and guidance needed but you guys jump right it and for everyone else who will chime in and help along the way thank you very much

Yea man, it was good working with you. We're going to get all 4 of these motors going! I just can't believe the amount of dirt and mud inside the motors. Thanks guys for all the help and I'm sure there will be some more questions along the way!

Ok so the GX got her bath today this is before

This is the picture i remember to take after her bath

Looks much better on the inside and got most of (but not all of ) The crap off the outside. I did find out the head has a crap in the tho where the spark plug goes, good thing JB gave me his extra honda head with the flap bevel top piston that goes with it.

This is the old piston that came out of it and i need to get a pic of the new one but its not a flat top it has a bevel or slope what ever its called.

But i did clean the cylinder bore up a little and from what i can feel there is no heavy gouges or pitting but i need to Scotch bright it a little more and fully clean it, I did oil it before i went to work so it didnt rust.

Carb, Gaskets, and gov springs should be here Tuesday, I still need to order 2 new bearings tho. Tomorrow or Monday ill really scrub the cylinder walls and see if it needs a hone or if its good to go

Last edited:

Valocalrep

Ok guys i gotta bring this back from the dead finally got some down time i wanna get it finished, I need to replace the piston and rings, It had a flat top piston in it and ive looked and im not sure what one is stock can someone possibly help me with a link to the stock flat piston and ring kit please

I used to use the Z4M piston in my GX200 builds.
Not sure what the the 80 on the end means but it looks the same.

Good piston if you do not rebuild the 160 keep that piston if its in spec.
Another thing is all the 1mm ring sets seem to fit that piston too.
File fit an over size top ring to a .004-.005 gap.

All the parts arrived yesterday morning (new piston and rings along with gov return spring) and i got the piston put it attached it to the crank and it was no good, its VERY tight in the more and is really hard to move so next few days ill get out there re-take it apart and the hone a tad bit more and see if thats any better, With this being my first engine rebuild im trying to learn as much as i can but im still all kinds of lost