GX160 build

I used to use the Z4M piston in my GX200 builds.
Not sure what the the 80 on the end means but it looks the same.

Good piston if you do not rebuild the 160 keep that piston if its in spec.
Another thing is all the 1mm ring sets seem to fit that piston too.
File fit an over size top ring to a .004-.005 gap.
Ok i have to ask since im still trying to learn, What does "File fit an over size top ring to a .004-.005 gap" i know it should be self explanatory but im lost

CarPlayLB

If you are using a stock bore, buy rings that are for an oversized/overbored cylinder, but don't go crazy! Buy like a .005 or a .010 oversized ring and file the end gap until you get the desired tolerance/end gap. You need to keep you file square and make sure to knock down any burrs you created. A stock sized ring may have too much end gap!

CarPlayLB

When i ordered the piston and rings i got is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENGWX0W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
do you think those rings need to be filed down and thank you for the info
You won't know until you push them down in the cylinder. Remember, you are fitting the rings to the cylinder, not the piston! Take a ring and use the piston to slide it into the bore. The piston will square the ring in the bore to let you measure it. The bore wears more at the top than on the bottom. I would carefully put the ring right into the top of the bore and use the piston to push it about 3/8" down and measure from there. Then push it down another inch and measure it there, then one more inch. Rings are brittle so you need to handle them with care! Each ring needs to go through this process. The least critical is the bottom, or "oil" ring. It can be a little loose on the tolerance so long as it is not too tight. If any rings are too tight, then you would file the gap. Too tight a gap will allow the ring to butt up against itself and potentially ruin the ring, the cylinder, the piston, or all the aforementioned pieces. It's easy, just ask someone who's never done it!

All the parts arrived yesterday morning (new piston and rings along with gov return spring) and i got the piston put it attached it to the crank and it was no good, its VERY tight in the more and is really hard to move so next few days ill get out there re-take it apart and the hone a tad bit more and see if thats any better, With this being my first engine rebuild im trying to learn as much as i can but im still all kinds of lost
.020 over dished piston in a stock bore?

It's all good I'm still learning so i go back and double check all my info. Hopefully my stomach will play nice tomorrow and I'll be able to get a feeler gauge from hf so I can check the ring gap

So I took the piston back out today reoiled everything, and checked ring gap, The game was fine and once reassembled it still had a lot of drag. So tomorrow im going to take the stock piston and clean it up and put the new rings on it and see if it runs any smoother then the new piston. Also the new piston is too tall, i guess i got the wrong one because when i have it at top position it sticks out a good amount.

Trinik I found out the rod was messed up so I swapped it with a spare and it doesn't bind anymore BUTTTT I found out the friggen piston I got is too tall Evidently I have a small piston lol so this week I'll take it to land and coats and see if they have rings for it. The ring slots are thin