gx160 vs gx120 block identification

just wanted to make sure that a genuine gx160 would actually have that stamped on the block... where if the block is stamped gx120... its obviously a gx120 with a gx160 recoil assembly on it?

have a motor sitting, was going to put it up for sale and just fired it up for the first time (since ive had it). while doing the video and looking for the stamped, i could have sworn i saw gx120 on the block... :censure:

not that it matters to me. as i wouldnt use either... however, is the gx120 a desirable engine to anyone... would need an oil change and gaskets, but compression is good and fired right up... if it were a gx160 i would have replaced all the gaskets, cleaned it up and put it up for sale... not so sure on doing that with a gx120...

vwfan79

Looks to be a 120, the 160 has gx160-163cm stamped on top on the pto side and my tanks are white. The 160 is good little motor I have 4 and can make good power with them the 120 I don't think there are performance parts for.

Looks to be a 120, the 160 has gx160-163cm stamped on top on the pto side and my tanks are white. The 160 is good little motor I have 4 and can make good power with them the 120 I don't think there are performance parts for.
:censure:, thanks, I figured that much.. it isnt so much tht it is actually a gx120... but moreso that some punk put a gx160 cover on it and scammed my friend into buying it.. he leaves stuff like this at my house, cause i help him quite a bit on his projects... he wouldnt have thought to check the block... he told me it was a gx160 over the phone, i told him to go ahead and grab it, in case it had a 14cc head on it, where i would be able to use the head...

They do make performance parts for them and are used alot in these karts...
[/img]
that is a nice kart! hopefully someone else can use the motor, i dont have a use for it, unless it can be bore out a huge bit?

Thanks....and I am sure you can bore them...but no clue how much on those. They make nice putter motors for karts or minis and still have some get up.

Gx120's are good little engines. I have them on 3 of my bikes. They make good power and are great for kids. I have 1 on a rider bike for friends as well. Its enough power to make it fun, butnot enough to scare the shit out of someone or flip them on their first ride.

Thanks....and I am sure you can bore them...but no clue how much on those. They make nice putter motors for karts or minis and still have some get up.
cool, yeh I wouldnt bore this one... would waste the motor... i just didnt know people liked to use them, so this is cool...

Gx120's are good little engines. I have them on 3 of my bikes. They make good power and are great for kids. I have 1 on a rider bike for friends as well. Its enough power to make it fun, butnot enough to scare the shit out of someone or flip them on their first ride.
good to know... gotta figure out what to ask for it and get it listed... need some parts for my new project

I'm looking at that and think I see a 3/4 inch fine thread pump crank there.

Not much bolts to a pump crank other than pumps.....
thanks for this info, i have someone interested in it and i did not know this... can this be drilled and tapped to work with a clutch? or is the motor pretty much useless to anyone? i went outside and checked and it is splined and has an impression where the hole should be for the clutch bolt, but as you said not deep enough and no threads... thank you for pointing this out to me, i hadnt paid attention to the motor fully... other than noticing it was a gx120