H35 Side Popper 5 hp???

Mnr81

Hi Guys,
I pulled this engine off an Ariens snowblower. I though it was pretty cool with the electric start so I cleaned it up and painted it. I had a hard time identifying it bc I couldn't find any numbers...but I've heard from a reliable source that it's a H35 Side Popper???
Can anyone confirm this id? Any experience with these engines? I'm not thrilled about the diaphragm carb and also the muffler comes out the side and not the rear, so I'm concerned about kids getting burned.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks
Marc

Marc that's a 3-1/2hp engine, I made a pipe out of bicycle handle bar before to solve the exhaust problem. Good luck and have fun with it! :thumbsup:

T-Town Mini

Just get some pipe fittings and some exhaust wrap...add a muffler & support....you'll be good to go.

The diaphragm carb works fine...keep it and rebuild it.

Hey Mnr81, you might want to swap out that intake manifold. The one on there looks like the small bore kind with a passage the size of a drinking straw.

Mnr81

Aww man guys thank you!!! I'm glad u all are happy with your side poppers and the diaphragm is not completely shitty...so I will go ahead and buy the rebuild kit. Anyone know the part number to order??? What size pipe fitting goes into exhaust 1/2"? And finally oldcarbx, where can I find another intake manifold? Thanks everyone!!!

i would just bend the tab that works the choke vertical so its out of the way and maybe attatch some kind of arm so you know which direction is on/off. you can use a street elbow on the exhaust to get it nice and close to the engine. but i would also make a brace bracket off of a head bolt to keep it from loostening up and shaking around

joshua. c.

personaly I prefer float bowl carbs because most of the time you can clean them without a rebulder kit. but since you have the diaphram type stick with it, its not a bad carb. if you want that carb to stay running good rember to use an in line fule filter and an on off valve. any bit of dirt getting into that carb will give you issues, a good fule filter solves that. and remember to turn the gas off and run it dry before you put it away so the gas dosn't gum up the carb. also useing fuel stabilizer with every fill up dosn't hurt eather. these little tips have cept my hs50 running without needing any maintenance for 2 straight years.