H40 Tecumseh

Anyone modded a H40 tecumseh. Got one on a ken bar whirlwind bike i just picked up and don't whether to try to mod this engine or replace it with clone engine. The H40 runs good and looks to have low hours on but don't know alot about tecumseh engines or where to get parts for it.

Anybody know if a HS40/HS50 cam will work in the H40 i got. Or what cam will fit/work in that engine. Surely there some old TEC heads out there that knows this information. Any and all help is and will be appreciated in advance .

markus

Anybody know if a HS40/HS50 cam will work in the H40 i got. Or what cam will fit/work in that engine. Surely there some old TEC heads out there that knows this information. Any and all help is and will be appreciated in advance .
The late model H40 is actually the same as an H35, They did away with the HS I imagine to simplify production. So the intake and exhuast are flipped compared to an HS. so if you were going to use a cam for an HS you would need to swap around the intake and exhaust ports like an older HS, would it work, I dunno?? Few people have started similar projects with the side exhaust H blocks (so intake would come in from the side) but no ones ever shown a completed running one. I woudl think it would be doable, the late model cranks and even rods in the H engines actually got beefed up to the HS size (just smaller head/piston, but I think clearance is reduced a tad so a billet rod will not clear like it would in the older HS blocks.

capguncowboy

The late model H40 is actually the same as an H35, They did away with the HS I imagine to simplify production. So the intake and exhuast are flipped compared to an HS. so if you were going to use a cam for an HS you would need to swap around the intake and exhaust ports like an older HS, would it work, I dunno?? Few people have started similar projects with the side exhaust H blocks (so intake would come in from the side) but no ones ever shown a completed running one. I woudl think it would be doable, the late model cranks and even rods in the H engines actually got beefed up to the HS size (just smaller head/piston, but I think clearance is reduced a tad so a billet rod will not clear like it would in the older HS blocks.
That's an interesting idea -- I wonder if it would work. Makes me want to try :laugh: