Happy Ipa Day

Well national IPA day is coming to an end, what IPA's did all you mini bikers enjoy today?
I had an Alpha Dog imperial ipa by laughing dog brewing co.:drinkup:

dang151

Hale's Ales Supergoose dbl Ipa, Rainy Daze Sod Slayer session, NOLI Jet Star Imperial. I like to keep it local and that's pretty easy since my state harvests 75% of the hops used in the country. :drinkup:

Mean Dean

I love Ska Brewery's Modus Hoperandi IPA. 6.8 Alcohol. They have three skeletons in gangster hats and suits. Slam a few of those down and see how you feel. Dales Pale Ale IPA is good also. And Very hard to find Bell's Consiquator Doppelback IPA.

Last edited:
I used to brew beer as a hobby. Had two six-gallon carboys going at one time. I did a lot of IPA. I find breweries continue to over-hop it for my tastes.

Originaly, it was brewed with ale yeast because the higher fermentation temps allowed the casks to ferment while on Brittish ships headed to India, and the subsequent overland routes once there. (It's a hot place) The extra hopping done post fermentation assisted with the flavor- or masking the flavor, since shaking wort is a bad thing to do while fermenting.

As I recall, ale yeast requires something around 75F, while lager is around 45F. The "India" part of the IPA denotes the extra hops. Plenty of ales around with less.

I used to brew beer as a hobby. Had two six-gallon carboys going at one time. I did a lot of IPA. I find breweries continue to over-hop it for my tastes.

Originaly, it was brewed with ale yeast because the higher fermentation temps allowed the casks to ferment while on Brittish ships headed to India, and the subsequent overland routes once there. (It's a hot place) The extra hopping done post fermentation assisted with the flavor- or masking the flavor, since shaking wort is a bad thing to do while fermenting.

As I recall, ale yeast requires something around 75F, while lager is around 45F. The "India" part of the IPA denotes the extra hops. Plenty of ales around with less.
You are very correct sir. Hops were used a preservative when transporting ale to india. Awesome to hear about homebrew because I also brew beer. My other hobby. But haven't brewed a batch in a couple of months though.

I love Ska Brewery's Modus Hoperandi IPA. 6.8 Alcohol. They have three skeletons in gangster hats and suits. Slam a few of those down and see how you feel. Dales Pale Ale IPA is good also. And Very hard to find Bell's Consiquator Doppelback IPA.
Bell makes some stellar brews. Dales also has been impressing me with the stuff they are brewing. My favorite brewery has to be Weyerbacher. Brewed right here in easton too.

You are very correct sir. Hops were used a preservative when transporting ale to india. Awesome to hear about homebrew because I also brew beer. My other hobby. But haven't brewed a batch in a couple of months though.
:thumbsup: I haven't brewed in a long time. I sure enjoyed the hobby though. My first IPA was in Singapore and was supposedly the original IPA recipe.

My "dream" was always to get a used 1 barrel brewry setup. LOL, I hate to admit it, but with two 6 gal carboys going, I still didn't brew enough for my uses, even though I was ending up with 6-7%. I bottled. If I ever do it again, I'll keg for sure.

What kind of setup do you have? I used extract, never sparged, so I missed the hard parts. :wink:

We started out using extract but moved on to a mash tun made from an igloo cooler(they make the kits to convert them over). Takes way longer but your rewarded with a nice clean taste. Last batch was a Belgium strong. Forget the specific gravity of it but think it was around 8-9%

We started out using extract but moved on to a mash tun made from an igloo cooler(they make the kits to convert them over). Takes way longer but your rewarded with a nice clean taste. Last batch was a Belgium strong. Forget the specific gravity of it but think it was around 8-9%
:thumbsup: If I ever get back into it, I'll do grain brewing instead of extract.

Early on, it was apparent that any batch of beer I brewed was better than that which I could buy. I guess it's like making a home made cake. Always better than the highest quality store-bought.

Then friends come over, and hit that 8% lol, and it aint like slamming a couple Budweiser Lights! :laugh: