Harbor Freight 6.5 Gallon Bench Top Parts Washer - Reviews?

Anyone have any experience with the small 6.5 gallon bench top parts washer from Harbor Freight? It looks a bit flimsy but I only need it occasionally and don't have space or $ for a large unit. Pump reliability would be the only real concern I have. My alternative is the slightly smaller one for $20 more at Northern Tool.

Also, I see it only handles water soluble cleaners. Anyone have a favorite brand they use in recirculating tanks?

I have one of the old small units (all metal and took normal cleaners) and my only voice was it was too small. Granted back when I was using it there was mainly car parts in it.

From what I've noticed it seems like the new smaller ones use plastic tanks and they all are water based only.

From what I've noticed it seems like the new smaller ones use plastic tanks and they all are water based only.
Thanks for the input. So would a plastic tank really be a bad thing? Less durable maybe, but I don't plan on dropping huge parts in there from 4' up. The ones from Northern and Amazon are metal, but a little smaller. This will be used for minibike engine parts only. The metal tank models have the pump mounted to the base of the tank while the plastic Harbor Freight one is just suction cupped, allowing it to be moved around. Not sure if that's good or bad.

As for water based fluids, that gives me the advantage of using it in my basement in the winter. However, I don't know how effective water based tank solvents are. If anyone has a brand they prefer that really works, I'd love to hear it.

Seems the pump reliability is the major flaw with all of these, but they don't seem to have very good filtration, so I can see why they might fail. Normally I buy good quality tools but in this case, there isn't an affordable high quality option for such an occasional use item.

Maybe I'd be just as well off with a $5 Rubbermaid storage tub filled with solvent and a parts brush. If anyone else has experience with one of these small units, feel free to provide input. Thx.

Personally I don't have anything against plastic. In my shop it would stop the tank from rusting away on the outside.

I've tried 3 or 4 brands of water based cleaners years ago and I was not impressed. I'm sure there are new and improved out on the market now but I'll stick to my old ways until I just can't.

The filter on mine is a roll of toilet paper. I change it out once a year if it needs it or not and it rarely does.

WLB

I have also tried several of the water based cleaners. Most were about like using a good dish soap. To get water soluble cleaners that have a chance of working requires a tank that can heat the water to the 150 degree range. The solvent pumps are definitely the weak link. Never had any that lasted more than a few months.

The Rubbermaid tub is a good idea. You will need a parts brush to get anything clean anyway. Put a screen of expanded metal about an inch or so off the bottom so there is a place for dirt and grease to settle.