Harbor Freight 6.5hp governor

oldsledz

it all comes down to gearing and what you call decent speeds.

it will go the same speed with a 250 pound rider as it will with a 50 pound rider , it just takes longer to get to top speed.

unless it is geared vary low it should go 30-35 the way they come.

oldsledz

Alright thanks. I actually have a smaller rear sprocket than the stock one so it might go a bit faster than 30-35, right?
yes top end should go up as long as the engine has the hp to run at full RPM with the gearing.

You will lose take off power with the smaller sprocket.

You will be pleased with the difference! I leave the governers on my clones because removing them and doing nothing else makes them difficult to start, I add a spring to the governer arm spring to add tension under acceleration and turn the throttle stop screw out to lessen the effect the gov. has on my forward momentum! It works great for me and I weigh the same as you, I went a confirmed 40mph with a 66tooth rear sprocket and ran out of street! I have an ungoverned B&S 5.5 that took me to 45 so my spring trick for the clone gave me compareable performance with no trouble! See my thread in this section titled Piggyback ride

Last edited:
So thats all you did, was add another spring to the stock black spring on the governor arm? Where is the throttle stop screw? I'd like to try this on my stock (governor equipped) clone.