Harbor Freight Tube Benders & Rollers???

Oldsalt

The roller bender sure looks like a nice machine at $180...that's not all that bad IF the rollers for a given tubeing size aren't overpriced. To make frames a set for 7/8" diameter tube would be the minimum requirement. I'm guessing that it will handle tubeing with wall thickness a lot greater than EMT. Don't see no specs.

Smallbore

The second one may say TUBING BENDER, but its pretty much a conduit bender. The top one is much better but i think there is still a better option. I use a Hossfeld but unless your willing to drop 2 grand for a bender and dies thats not an option. There are however 2 low dollar options for you. 1- take a look at the JD2 from JD Squared. Very good machine and can be had for about $300.00 plus dies. Also....take a look at the floor bender that Harbor Freight sells for $99.00 or $79.00 when it is on sale. It will do flat stock making it more versitle, Plus do your tubing. Harbor Freight does not sell tube dies, but the JD and the Hossfeld dies will work on that machine. I have a metal fabrication shop and made all my own dies. 12 sets in all. If you get the $99.00 special (79 on sale) send me a PM and maybe i can make you an Alloy set for about $60.00 the Alloy dies wear out quicker but unless you plan on making 5,000 frames, they will work just fine for your needs. Here`s the link to the floor bender Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

On that roller bender, couldn't one theoretically make the roll diameter "tighter", like 2.5-3" if the two outer wheels were moved inward a little bit??

I've looked at that floor mount model & was under the impression that it was intended for solid bar stock only & not for tubing.

I was hoping the pair of pliers type, conduit bender would handle bending up exhaust pipe.

Smallbore

I've looked at that floor mount model & was under the impression that it was intended for solid bar stock only & not for tubing.

I was hoping the pair of pliers type, conduit bender would handle bending up exhaust pipe.
Hmm... I guess you could give it a try, just dont expect a very sharp radius with it. Take a look at the Hossfeld page and click on "tooling options" at the top of page. That will give you a better idea of what this bender can do. The Harbor Freight is just a smaller version of it. Hossfeld Manufacturing offers iron benders, metal benders and pipe bending dies. :grind:

Smallbore

Actually.... 1 set would be 3 pieces and consist of 1-Holding block, 1- follower die (outside one with the X on it) and 1- forming die (center) in either 3,4, or 5 inch radius, and the tube size requested. Additional center dies could be had for $20.00 each. For the 3 pieces that`s still cheap ! Go to eBay and look up HOSSFELD. There's a guy ( screen name: jabburd) that sells a steel 3 piece set in 1 inch for $150.00 I'm not in the die business but merely offering someone some help if they need it. Here's a photo of some dies on a Harbor Freight machine...

Oldsalt

Actually.... 1 set would be 3 pieces and consist of 1-Holding block, 1- follower die (outside one with the X on it) and 1- forming die (center) in either 3,4, or 5 inch radius, and the tube size requested. Additional center dies could be had for $20.00 each. For the 3 pieces that`s still cheap ! Go to eBay and look up HOSSFELD. There's a guy ( screen name: jabburd) that sells a steel 3 piece set in 1 inch for $150.00 I'm not in the die business but merely offering someone some help if they need it. Here's a photo of some dies on a Harbor Freight machine...
Smallbore

Thanks for going to the trouble of posting the pictures. I have a Hossfeld but it is in storage, it's kinda big for my present shop. Some time ago purchased the Harbor Freight bender that you also posted a picture of. I have enough 1 inch aluminum plate to make dies but have been holding off because I was unsure the HF bender would handle 7/8" and 1" mini bike tube. Guess that question has been answered. Thanks again.

I still think that is cheap.

Oldsalt

Smallbore
Had a little time today to do some reverse engineering. Useing the picture of the Harbor Freight bender that you posted, with tube bending dies installed, I sorta sized the three piece die set. Attached is a picture of a sketch that I think might be close to what will work. Would you take a look and let me know if the proportions are O.K.? It is sized for 1 inch tube, but I found enough free aluminum billet to build both 1 inch and a 7/8 inch sets. I lke the idea of useing the Harbor Freight bending frame rather than my huge Hossfeld. Not being able to bend tubeing for mini bike frames has been a stumbling block for me. I'm looking forward to haveing dies that will bend a 3 inch radius.

Oldsalt

Today I drug out the Harbor Freight bender. Was able to get the biggest diameter piece, of the three piece set, finished before it got too late. See attached picture. The billit of aluminum that I had turned out to be 7" O.D., not 6" as I had thought. So I made the die 6-1/2" O.D. rather than 6". That means it will bend a 3-1/4" radius. At this time I'm only interested in bending 3/4" and 7/8" diameter tube so I put both grooves for both sizes on this one piece. In the background is the rest of the aluminum needed to complete the set. That 3/4 die is the size that's needed to bend up a Tom Thumb frame.

Oldsalt

Today the traveling roller was started. The attached pic shows my poor-boy method to turn the half-round grooves. This little roller will also have two grooves, a 3/4" and a 7/8", same as the big roller.

Smallbore

Today the traveling roller was started. The attached pic shows my poor-boy method to turn the half-round grooves. This little roller will also have two grooves, a 3/4" and a 7/8", same as the big roller.
WOW ! That must take some time with that tool.... I just 1/2 rounded a 1" and 7/8" tool and plunged it straight in. Looks like you`ll be bending soon ! :thumbsup: Any plans for another radius dies ?

Oldsalt

You're right it's a slow way to do it! The little Clausing lathe that I'm useing is part of my minature machine shop for scale model gas engines. That 5/16" tool is all she'll pull. But it didn't take too long. Attached is a pic of both rolls installed in the Harbor Freight bending frame. Also a pic of the holding block, the last part, being made. Holes the O.D. of the tubes were drilled through an aluminum block and then the block split. I did it that way because I don't have a 7/8" ball mill here. My eldest son added a joint each of 3/4" and 7/8" tube to a steel order, should have free material tomorrow so I can try it out. I really want a Tom Thumb mini bike.

I would also like to have a set of dies for 1" tube. But really don't need it because we allready have Hossfeld dies for that size. However, my eldest wants me to make a set of dies for the Hossfeld that will handle 1-5/8" tube. That's a regulation size common on land speed cars. He doesn't want to pay Hossfeld's price. I'll definately use a 16" lathe when I finially get around to makeing chips.

Oldsalt

Some tubeing was delivered today. The attached picture shows the Harbor Freight bending frame holding the aluminum dies that I made. Being able to make the 180 degree bend in the piece of 7/8" tube was a relief. The thing works. Did I save money? If I had to buy the aluminum and my labor was worth more than a dollar an hour and the electricity was free, it would be close to a push. But I like 'em better than if they were purchased.

I'm from another site, that's been stirred up by hf benders as well. I'm in the middle of building an s10 4x4 with a cadillac 500, then onto bar stool go carts (I figure what the hell)

Smallbore, do you think you could make dies for 1.75 .120 hrew? ior if that bender could handle it? Also I've been thinking it might be possible to use these roller dies in the hf hydraulic pipe bender if slightly modified. Any ideas?