Header support

vwfan79

I have a flat head and was wondering if I can use one of the head bolts to bolt down my header support. The header is 24" long and from what I have read it's better to support it to the motor then to the frame. Is using a head bolt not recommend or will it be ok as long as I torque it down?

Last edited:
Hey V dub, you're asking a lot of Briggs questions. Randi 125cc Crazy usually handles mine.

Since they use those head bolts to hold tanks, etc, it stands to reason they'd work for exhaust supports provided you had enough threads left. I discovered that repeated removal of the head bolts for a tank mount caused a pretty good compression leak. So you need to loosen them all, if you're going to loosen one.

Seems with a pipe as long as that one, you'd need some support on the ass end to the frame. Something with a grommet. I'm a novice at this stuff and learning the hard way, so I'll let the experts chime in.

PS-notice how all the sealants have "not recommended for gasoline" in the instructions? Perhaps your gas leak is via the threads, or the nut retainer plate within the tank. I used that fancy sealer to solve the latter, and used the sealant on the threads themselves.

vwfan79

Thanks, I didn't realize they use the head bolts to hang tanks. I guess now that I think about it one of my Tec. motors is that way.

old-timer

Scamming Member
Yeah using the head bolt is how most header braces/supports are held on:thumbsup:
Just remember to re-torque your bolts. Some headers have the supports built in to the flange, but I've seen those strip out the bolts in extreme cases when using the longer headers.

Vic

vwfan79

Seems with a pipe as long as that one, you'd need some support on the ass end to the frame. Something with a grommet.
I the picture you can see that there is a bracket about half way down the pipe which is where I plan to attach the support to. After that there really isn't anywhere to hook to the frame cause it sticks out so far, I was gonna cut it down but once it was in the frame I like how it looks long. If it ends up being a problem I will have to shorten the pipe up a bit.

old-timer

Scamming Member
I the picture you can see that there is a bracket about half way down the pipe which is where I plan to attach the support to. After that there really isn't anywhere to hook to the frame cause it sticks out so far, I was gonna cut it down but once it was in the frame I like how it looks long. If it ends up being a problem I will have to shorten the pipe up a bit.
That should be just fine where it's located:thumbsup:

Vic