Heathkit Hilltopper

capguncowboy

So, I plan on going to Windber this year. I never had anyone that would go with me, but I finally talked my brother-in-law into attending with me. Then it dawned on me -- I need another big bike for him to ride.

I was browsing Ebay the other day and saw a Hilltopper that looked like it was mostly all there. I struck a deal with the seller and it'll be on its way here later this week.

At first glance, it looks like it's mostly all there. It'll obviously need some cleaning/tuning, probably new tires and chain and a drive belt. Everything else looks pretty good. The biggest thing is the clutch guard. Does anyone have an extra they'd want to part with?

capguncowboy

I found front tires that are near stock looking that fit ... here is that thread ...
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-discussion/127879-heathkit-hilltopper-front-tire.html

A couple manufacturers make the back tire in the same tread pattern ...

The Hilltopper will make an excellent Winber ride if the terrain is as bumpy as I've read!
That's one of the reasons I picked it up. I know that riding off road, full suspension is the way to go. Another reason was because someone here on the forums wrote about them once and made them sound like the best things ever made. I am a sucker for a good testimonial :laugh:

I'll check out the tires. Thanks for the link

Another reason was because someone here on the forums wrote about them once and made them sound like the best things ever made.
Ideed they are! I have 2, one has sloved world hunger and cured cancer and the other is proficent in Quantum Physics on a molecular level.

They really do ride nice. Plush seat, good suspension travel ...

Honda 70s you have to shift ... (Hodaka Bonanzas too) ... Big Heald bikes are a handfull ... ect ...

For me the Hilltopper strikes the right balance of size, power, comfort to still be called a mini bike .... but for adults..

capguncowboy

Ideed they are! I have 2, one has sloved world hunger and cured cancer and the other is proficent in Quantum Physics on a molecular level.

They really do ride nice. Plush seat, good suspension travel ...

Honda 70s you have to shift ... (Hodaka Bonanzas too) ... Big Heald bikes are a handfull ... ect ...

For me the Hilltopper strikes the right balance of size, power, comfort to still be called a mini bike .... but for adults..
I'm thinking it was you that gave the testimonial I read a while back. At any rate, I look forward to taking it for a ride

capguncowboy

Okay, I've been digging around some more and from what I've been reading, all of these bikes would have been gold originally? I was under the impression that this bike had original paint based on the pinstriping on the fenders. Is that a custom job?

Hilltoppers were a gold poly color. Yankee bears and I did a color match awhile back and found it to be a Chrysler color. If I remember right 1974. Code Y6. Chrysler Imperial.

capguncowboy

nicest riding bike I've ever ridden

I can't say for sure they were all gold ,ours is all original

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-discussion/93187-nicest-survivor-weve-found.html
I saw that thread while searching for info on the bikes. I wish mine looked like that!

Hilltoppers were a gold poly color. Yankee bears and I did a color match awhile back and found it to be a Chrysler color. If I remember right 1974. Code Y6. Chrysler Imperial.

I'm not too keen on the original color, to be honest, but I can understand why a purest would want it to be original. Maybe if I ever redo mine

capguncowboy

I went today and picked up the Hilltopper. I was a little giddy when I went in there :laugh:

If you've never used Fastenal to ship a bike, you should check it out. It only cost $125 to ship it from Cincinatti to my local shop. Honestly, I wish I had known about it years ago.

I'll have to post up some pictures tomorrow, but overall, it's in pretty good shape. The blue paint isn't original, as we had already discussed, but it's painfully obvious due to the gold paint showing through in places. Whoever painted it blue did a great job on it though. It looks like they at least used two component paint. I'm not too worried about it. I know that if I keep this bike long enough, I'll probably redo it anyway :deal:

As far as I can tell, the only things it needs are:

Taillight lens and bulb
Adjuster knob on the handlebar (I have a feeling it'll be hard to find)
Tires, which I was able to find through another thread
Grips
Clutch Guard (Chatten has one for me)
Small chain guard for pull-start side
carb kit for the original carb

Pictures to come tomorrow. I was too tired tonight to fool with it

capguncowboy

I finally found time today between birthday parties, mowing the lawn and working overtime to roll the bike out for some pictures. I'm so tired, I couldn't even think of what I should be taking pictures of.

The electrical is a mess. Does anyone have a wiring diagram? I think I'm going to remove the current harness and build a new one. I don't think the tires are original, but they're not in bad shape. I might just run those until I can afford to redo the entire bike. What sort of grips did these bikes have? Anyone got a footpeg for the right side? Anyone know where I can find some free time?